Using Metal Roofing as an under deck system (to area under deck dry)

Old 04-14-15, 09:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Metal Roofing as an under deck system (to area under deck dry)

Have a 12 x 18 deck that comes off a 2nd story bedroom. Deck level is 8+ feet off ground. Would like to install a form of under decking (like Zip up deck, etc) but cant afford $2,000. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for installing 29 gauge metal siding "upside-down" on the bottom side - with slope to a gutter on the end?

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-15, 12:03 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have a deck that's 10' X 54' long (plus another 24' along an end of the house).

Mine isn't up in the air 8'; only 3'+/- and where water from the roof is concentrated by 2nd floor roof gables, I noticed that the rain was excavating the ground near the house foundation; but being under the deck, that area is out of sight because we have lattice between the ground and the decking.

So last summer, I went into that area for other reasons and made the discovery of that disruption of the soil. My solution (so far) is/was to construct some panels of corrugated fiberglas that I positioned into the most vulnerable spots. The fiberglas panels were 32" wide and I bought some pre-formed wooden support material to put multiple panels together (overlapping) so that I could slip them in and out as a group. They're in there now, at about a 15 or 20 pitch for drainage.

The snow around the deck has yet to melt so I don't how this experiment fared; but you might consider some variation of the idea. Mine didn't have to be very architecturally pleasing, because they're hidden; but they are fairly inexpensive, and light, and far easier to work with than metal.

Last edited by Vermont; 04-14-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have installed 29 gauge roofing for under decking, BUT, I have the supplier run it upside down, so the color is on the bottom side. It just looks better that way. You have to build a substantial slope using dimension lumber across the grain of the metal at 24" intervals, screwing the metal on the flat. The raised portion (which is not upside down) will carry the water past and to the outer edge.