Extend the deck supports out another 6 feet

Old 04-16-15, 09:30 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extend the deck supports out another 6 feet

I have a deck that is about 3m from the ground and is 3m wide and runs alongside the house for 7 metres.

I need to extend the supports out from 3m to 4.7m from the house without moving the rest of the deck. I'm not extending the platform or the balustrade. Just the supports.

Has anyone has any experience with this? Not sure if I stick 3 big I beams underneath to support it or rebuild the deck completely (which I would rather not do).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-15, 03:22 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Convert to feet and inches, and add a picture of what you have now and I'd bet you'll get far more suggestions.

Old 04-16-15, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Curious as to why you need to extend the supports from under the deck? Beams would come to mind, but pictures would really help us see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Joe: 3 meters = 9.84'
4.7 meters = 15.42'
7 meters - 23'

Old 04-16-15, 05:38 PM
F
Yeah sorry guys.

So the steps in the red box have been smashed out. The columns in red are the ones I want to move further out so they are out near the blue column. The reason for all of this is I am going to run a driveway up the side of the house to my shed.

Name:  DSC00031 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  51.5 KB

I won't be extending the deck as it I cant build a deck any closer to the fence for privacy reasons.

Is that a bit clearer?

This is there I am up to so far.

Name:  IMG_4164small.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  51.8 KB

The whole structure is currently wood.

Old 04-16-15, 05:42 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You might want to check to be sure those supports will be allowed. Even without a deck on top they may be considered a structure that is too close to the property line.

Bud

Old 04-16-15, 06:22 PM
F
I can build right up to the fence line. We often have parapet walls between structures here that are right on the boundary so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the advice though.

Old 04-16-15, 07:17 PM
I don't know what your local codes are, but by using beams and new posts further out WILL be extending the deck. Just because there is no decking, doesn't mean the structure will not now extend to the fence line.
What do you propose to hold up the beam against the house? Additional posts? It can be done, but I'd really check to see if it can legally be done before I did much demo.

Old 04-16-15, 07:26 PM
F
As I said before there is no issue building right up to the fence line. The issue is around privacy and as long as I don't extend the "social" area closer to the boundary then there are no issues with the local council.

Old 04-16-15, 07:47 PM
You will need possibly 2x12 doubled for your beams, and 6x6 posts on either end set on posts bases, attached to 12" footings dug to below your frost line. You will need to use post-to-beam connectors as well to keep things together. Cross bracing may be needed since there will be no lateral wood to tie them together. It can be done, but it must be done safely so the deck has no possibility of failing from removing the proven good supports.

Old 04-17-15, 01:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
LOL, Fatti, I had to check your profile, WA is our abbreviation for Washington state and I know of no locations over here that allow structures to be built right on a property line. But I plead ignorance about Western Australia codes. Confusion resolved and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Bud

Old 04-17-15, 04:56 AM
F
No worries. I had a giggle when chandler talked about below the frost line too.

No frost here in the last 40,000 years.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 04-17-15, 02:23 PM
I should have looked at your profile when you first mentioned metric measurements, but I figured you could have been a lost European in Washington but I didn't. So are you going to fix your profile??

Old 04-18-15, 04:26 AM
F
Yep. All done.

Would I be better of using steel beams onto steel columns to support this structure?

If so what size would I need to support a 4.7m span?

Old 04-18-15, 05:24 AM
Steel may be overkill and a little more expensive, but doable. A 9" beam with 6" I-columns, set on properly prepared footings would hold it, but I am an advocate of using wood, so check the pricing on each to see which one will suit you best.