Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Is it okay if there is a little stain still visible? I am doing a new coat.

Old 04-18-15, 09:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am redoing my deck, which has not been done in 10 years. The walk areas have a solid stain and the vertical areas have a semi-transparent. The wood is also in bad shape in the sun areas. With that in mind, I have decided to sand this down and pretty much start new.

The old owner used a darker red stain for both parts. I have sanded off about 95% of the stain, but sometimes there is a very faint pinkish color left behind from the red stain, or there are very faint marks that are not pink (see pic). It is not that much. I am putting a red color back on. My question is, will this very faint pink color be acceptable to stain back over? I will be using an oil based semi-transparent for everything going forward.

Also, sometimes in areas like between the boards on the walking areas there is still the old stain. It is very hard to get to, and it not pinkish like the well-sanded areas. I would imagine I just have to get in there with sandpaper as the new stain would go over it and make it look very odd or dark. Is that correct?

Lastly, there is stain under the covered area of my porch. That would be the worst part to take off, terrible. If I just covered the old stain with the new color I would imagine it would just be darker and reddish in general. It is not very visible to the public. Thoughts?

Thank you for any help. This is my first deck project and I want to do it right. Sanding sucks!

Jared

Name:  IMG_9431.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  51.0 KB

See the marks below where it is not perfect wood (not the knot). I sanded the heck out of these areas and that is still there. I would imagine the new stain (redwood color) covers that up? If not, perhaps it just creates a new design? Perhaps a deck brightener would help this out?

Name:  IMG_9433.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  25.4 KB

Here is a view of under the porch. Not too pretty by any means. It would be so time consuming to get that off (I don't have a pressure washer). Could I just cover it with the new stain and see what happens? Ideas or thoughts?

Name:  IMG_9434.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  37.8 KB

Last edited by Jared Delaney; 04-18-15 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Generally a semi-transparent stain doesn't have any issues when being applied over a similar colored semi-transparent stain. Semi-close up pics showing the problem areas would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: