Protecting untreated wood

Old 04-24-15, 03:08 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Protecting untreated wood

I have built an addition to my house using a Helical Pile Foundation.
About 3ft off the ground I have 2x10 support beams spanning the piles.
The underside of the floor has been sprayed with closed cell insulation foam.
Unfortunately i did not include the 2x10 beams in the area to be sprayed. This is regular untreated wood which is out of the elements but still exposed to the crushed stone below (not an enclosed ,crawl space but open sided with tight lattice).
I wondered about the need to protect the untreated wood.
Would it be beneficial to perhaps give the 2x10's a coat of Thompson Water Seal ?

Old 04-24-15, 09:09 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do some research on Thompson's Water Seal. You should find out that it's a good way to waster your hard-earned $$$, with not many benefits gained. You'd get better results using a copper naphthanate product, cut with Stoddard solvent.

Old 04-25-15, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not a fan of TWS but it will hold up ok IF not exposed to the weather. I agree the copper naphthanate would be a better choice although I'm not convinced either is needed.

Old 04-25-15, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just an observation..... may not need water proofing protection but doesn't that protection also help to eliminate problems from ants and termites ?

Old 04-25-15, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that any coating [other than creosote] will stop insects but anything that helps the wood stay drier will slow them down.

Old 04-26-15, 04:00 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate responses. If the need for water proofing appears to be unnecessary, what about carpenter ant and termite protection (or, do they only like damp wood ?)

Old 04-26-15, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When the wood doesn't have contact with the ground that reduces the risk of insect damage. PT wood should always be used when in contact with masonry as masonry can hold moisture. Chemically treating for bugs is rarely a bad idea. I don't know too much about carpenter ants but it's always a good idea to treat the ground under/near foundations for termites [new construction requirement in some locales]

I think insects will attack any wood that is available although when wood stays damp the odds go up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: