Deck Stain Questions

Old 04-28-15, 06:42 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain Questions

Hello,

We have about a 2 year old cedar privacy walls and a few benches that look to need a touch up of stain. I hit them with the pressure washer while cleaning some other stuff this past weekend.

My questions are:

We have the Natural Cabot Australian Timber Oil currently but would prefer something darker. Could we do another timber oil or another product that is darker right over what we have?

Our preference would not be a paint style stain as we enjoy the wood grain. I thought I read that a semi transparent is actually what lasts longest between coats. If so what product would you recommend that I dont have to do this every 2 years?

Last, the cedar looks clean and are mainly vertical wals do I need to hit this with anything else or pressure washing it with water sufficient for clean up?

Thanks for the help as always.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 06:50 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Yes it needs to be clean.
And 2 years is about all your going to get out of a stain.

Old 04-29-15, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Generally you can go darker with translucent or semi-transparent stains with no issues, it's difficult to go lighter.

I generally wash decks with a bleach/water solution and rinse with my pressure washer. Bleach is very effective for removing mildew [a problem in the southeast] TSP can be added if there is extra grime that needs removing.

Decks generally receive more weather than wood installed anywhere else which means the coating will have a shorter life. While I have seen some last longer, 2-3 yrs is normal for most decks.

Old 04-29-15, 07:05 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

As far as the bleach solution do you simply mix straight bleach in a bucket and brush it on and let it sit for a few minutes and then spray it off?

If i were to take another color over the natural to get a more brown look, what color do you think might work best?

Old 04-29-15, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Never use full strength bleach on wood! it can destroy the wood fibers

30-50% bleach works well, I normally mix it 50/50 with water. I'll add TSP to that mix if needed. To wash a deck I'll; wet it down with water and then spray the bleach/water on with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse. Stubborn areas might require a 2nd treatment and/or scrubbing with an old broom .... I like using a broom because I don't have to bend my old back as much

Look at the various stain samples to figure out what would look best with your house and tastes. A color that looks good in one setting might not looks so good with a different color or even style of house.