Pergola Dimensions

Old 05-03-15, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergola Dimensions

Hello,

I have been getting great help so far thanks everyone.

My wife and I liked this design and are wondering what you would guess the dimensions of the material used here are?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...WGNU6oIfZnlFam

Are those 2x8 set maybe 4 feet apart would you guess?

Last, we have a sidewalk that would run next to this we thought we might possibly cantilever the pergola over. could we do that with this design and using 2x8's if that is what they are? It would be the 2x8's that bolt directly to the post that would cantilever is what we were thinking but maybe that doesn't make a difference? any issues with that do you think?

Thanks again for all the help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-15, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Looks to be 6x6 posts, 2x10 cross members and 2x4 lattice on top. Without some type of support, the cantilever may tend to twist, and look out of symmetry to begin with. We built a pair of these last fall for a client. Design was a picture he saw in Savannah. Similar, although smaller than yours.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 05-05-15, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that is really nice. I like the idea of multiple posts like you did. It seems that would be structurally sound. Any more cost effective then a single 6x6 lets say?

as far as the cantilever over the sidewalk goes. what if we had the ability to put in some angle bracing like you did from the post to the cross member. do you think that would help it symmetrically and aid also in decreasing twisting?

Maybe we are simply better off going over our sidewalk and trying to place a post on the other side. what sort of span between posts can you have with a 2x10 if we did that?

Old 05-05-15, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks. multiple posts will probably be twice the cost of 6x6's. I don't like burying PT lumber, but since this was a swing set, the posts are buried about 3' into concrete. No movement.

You could do the bracing for the cantilever for support. Just make sure it doesn't overpower the balance of the pergola. Placing another post and making it a complete unit would be my choice, but I can't see what you see as far as your location.