swing screen door frame extrusion

Old 05-08-15, 06:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
swing screen door frame extrusion

I have an old screen porch with the usual aluminum extrusions that accept the screen with a rubber spline. The swing door frame/jamb is made of a matching aluminum extrusion that has a recess or stop that the door closes into all around the door. 2" deep with 3/8" recess for door. It needs replacement. I am not finding this extrusion shape anywhere online or at big box stores. Can you help? What am I missing here?

Old 05-08-15, 06:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 858 Votes on 791 Posts
Generally the frame and door are sold as one assembly and the extrusion is specific/custom to each manufacturer though they are all relatively similar. I have never seen storm door, jamb or frame extrusion sold as a loose part. I know it's a long shot but do you know the manufacturer of the door? Barring that, what's wrong with the extrusion or why does it need to be replaced? Maybe there is a way to fix what you have.

Old 05-08-15, 07:25 AM
S
I was planning on a wood screen door. Good question about reusing the frame but the 4x4 that it attaches to on one side needs replacement and I thought I might as well replace the frame, which is beat to hell, as is the old door. I could reuse if necessary and will post a question about that separately. Also the frame extends above the door about 2' so there is a screen panel above the door, but I hadn't noticed 8' parts packaged with the alum doors sold at HD. Will check for mfr label when I get home.

Old 05-08-15, 09:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 858 Votes on 791 Posts
I've never seen a wood screen door used with the aluminum frame from a aluminum door. I think building a frame or jamb would be better. The aluminum extrusion frame has a small stop which doesn't leave much room to catch the door. You could easily frame out the opening and use strips of wood, shoe or quarter round molding for the stops.

Old 05-09-15, 12:38 AM
S
Gold point, I'll probably go with wood frame/jamb.

Old 05-09-15, 03:57 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
You won't find storm door frame repair parts. You best bet is replace the whole thing. As PD said each manufacturer is different. I have seen some wood/Al combination construction. I think Andersen does or did make them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: