Building narrow deck

Old 05-14-15, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building narrow deck

I'm building a deck on the side of my house. it will only be 4'6" wide. I'm going to make it a floating deck and use those Deck Blocks. My question is, in that 4'6" width, how many blocks/joist do i need? I was thinking 2 or maybe 3 at most since it is so narrow. I plan to run the joist long way, and then place the decking boards across the 4'6" width. Any suggestions? The deck will be narrow, but about 50' long.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-15, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
How many you need depends on your span which depends on the size of the beams and joists. So, without knowing one you can't figure the other. I'd look at your deck, ground and climate (we don't know where you are) and see what's best for your site. If building it totally by yourself you might find it easier to work with smaller lumber like 2x6 and put in more piers for support, or you might choose to do fewer piers and span greater distance with 2x8 or 2x10...

How will you attach this deck to your house? Are you subject to building codes and inspection?

Old 05-14-15, 05:03 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
News flash, your ground is not level.....More at 11pm

A 50" long walkway (not deck) will be extremely tough to level using deck blocks. And, even if you do successfully level with blocks, the first year it is in use, you will see settling issues that will turn your straight deck into a carnival fun house that would remind me of the frost heaves the roads used to get when I lived in Vermont.

Here is the standard for most localities on the construction of a deck. Deck Blocks are not considered standard fare in many localities. http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-12.pdf

Old 05-14-15, 05:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Besides the questions that Pilot Dane asked, what will be the height of the deck & will it have a railing. Also, what do you mean by "the joist"? Will there be only one? I would make it free standing.

Old 05-14-15, 07:23 PM
Name:  deck.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  49.8 KB

So I plan on using 2x6's and i'm not sure what length to use. I'm attaching a picture. Its really more of a walkway then a deck i guess. The plan is to have it "floating" and not attached to anything. It will be between the house and fence. I"m in Reno, nv so not a lot of rain or snow really. Ground is pretty hard and rocky. I was thinking I could put 2 or 3 rows of the Deck Blocks across and then keep going every 4-5 feet.

Old 05-14-15, 07:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That answers a lot of questions but there is still one more. What's the distance between the ground & the bottom of the entrance door? So far, it looks like you would be better off using pavers.

Old 05-14-15, 07:58 PM
It's about "15 but it's slopes to the middle for drainage so I figure with a deck I could leave the middle slipped. Wolith pavers id have to flatten out the whole area. But I'm new to this so I'm open to suggestions. It's a brand new house with no landscaping done at all yet.

Old 05-14-15, 08:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't use deck blocks. I would use 4 2x6s on edge spaced evenly apart with 5/4 decking on top. Prebuild sections like a pallet. Then place them in the alley.

Old 05-14-15, 09:31 PM
I think I'd go with pavers instead of a narrow deck. Possibly less work, and most likely better performance. Termites don't normally like to eat concrete, but they will enjoy munching on your deck. And once it's built, the underside of a deck won't be very accessible for routine maintenance, either, unless you remove portions of the decking, or fence.

But wow--your house is sure close to your neighbor's house. Can you hear each other's toilets when they're flushed?

Old 05-15-15, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Where are you located? Your profile is incomplete. Prevailing weather conditions as well as extremes will play a big part in what you can or cannot use. Your ground seems solid and arid, so I wonder about extreme weather conditions.

Old 05-15-15, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Larry, he said in post #5 he's in Reno Nevada

I'd also go with pavers or a concrete walk. It will cost a little more upfront but will be cheaper in the long run.

Old 05-15-15, 07:02 AM
I'm afraid you will never be able to get permission to build in that area. Minimum setbacks are 5 feet for your area and the building of any deck requires a permit. Please see the attached code.

Types of building where permits are required:
http://www.reno.gov/home/showdocument?id=42011

Building code setbacks Section 18.12.102
https://www.municode.com/library/nv/...STSIMIREBAZODI

Only exceptions to the setback code is called out as follows:

Where yards are required by this chapter, all structures shall be prohibited, except as specified by this title.

(4)

Intrusions into Yards.

The following intrusions are permitted into a required yard setback:

a.Cornices, canopies, chimneys, eaves or other similar architectural features may extend into a required yard not to exceed two feet.

b.Outside stairs or landing places, if unroofed or unenclosed, may extend into required yards for a distance not to exceed three feet.

Old 05-15-15, 07:11 AM
SO if i do pavers, i just make sure it all still slopes towards the same direction that it does now? Cause right now they left the middle lower for drainage. Here some rare rain we got last night.

Name:  deck ground.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 05-15-15, 07:19 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Correct! the grade has to slope towards the drain. However, depending on how you lay the pavers, you may have to raise the drain, a little. You could add another drywell before you install the pavers. If it's done right, the water won't collect, as shown in the last pic.

Old 05-15-15, 12:15 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  11.3 KB

I think I'll do pavers with this down the middle. Thoughts? Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 05-15-15, 01:46 PM
If the trench is there for drainage, you can't do anything without the approval of the local authorities.
Dig further into the previous links I sent. Either way, check first they can advise on local code much better than we can.

I'm personally not sure it is a ditch more than erosion from run off of the roof on un-landscaped soil.

Here is a quote from the first link provided - Altering finished grades in a manner that will cause drainage to other properties is prohibited.

Old 05-15-15, 04:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why put pavers only in the middle? A trench drain is ok but I wouldn't install any drain without a dry well.

Old 05-15-15, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Not sure if anybody asked this but, what is your goal for adding a deck? Are you just trying to cover the dirt/mud? Are trying to prevent erosion?

Old 06-15-15, 01:18 PM
Well I finally finished. I ended up putting a french drain in under the rocks. Also had gutters installed so not that much water is falling on this side since Reno doesn't get a ton of rain anyways. For my first time laying pavers, i'm happy with the outcome. There's a few spots that are a little uneven but overall it looks good. Thanks for all the input.Name:  IMG_2791.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  40.7 KB

Old 06-17-15, 05:49 PM
Looks really nice, much better than a deck would've looked and certainly easier to maintain in the long run.