Ideas needed for exterior stairs

Old 05-17-15, 05:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas needed for exterior stairs

Hi Guys,

I'm just about done with a sunroom remodel, and was getting set to start work on a patio using the standard 6"x6" & 6"x9" grey pavers. I have a single door that sits about 36" above (what will be) the patio.

I'm looking for ideas on how to do the stairs. What would you cover them with? What would build them out of? I think we're going to go for 40" wide, so they won't be too extravagant, but I don't want them to look bad or cheap. I've thought about a concrete block base and then covering the sides with grey stucco and the steps would be patio stones. What do you guys think?

Pictures of what you'd recommend would definitely be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-15, 05:35 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The most basic stair would be pressure treated wood. Pre-cut stringers can be found at Home Cheapo.

For other ideas & pics, go to google images & search for "pre fab outdoor stairs". Click on one the interests you, then click on visit page. Don't let the pre fab fool you. They can be modified to whatever you want.

Old 05-17-15, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are setting the steps on your patio, be aware of the steps' weight. You don't want to put a 1000# cast step on them, as they will surely sink. I see nothing wring with Pulpo's idea of normal pt stringers and 5/4 steps and 1x risers. It's not like it is "the" focal point of the room or patio.

Old 05-17-15, 07:30 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Whatever you do make sure the top step or stoop sits at least 2" below the threshold so water does not get in the house.
A fast easy way to do it is with prefomed concrete steps.
Concrete Steps - Precast Concrete Steps - Centry Steps
Most Lowes can order them.