Precast concrete pavers sitting on long edging stones-do i need sand?

Old 05-18-15, 05:54 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Precast concrete pavers sitting on long edging stones-do i need sand?

Above you can see the picture
The walk way is represented a little bit more elevated so you can see what I am talking about. although this is not shown in the picture the stones that are adjacent to the house will be set a little higher in order to slope the pavers properly.

Above this walkway there is roof with gutters.
The purpose of this walk way is to provide access to the shed that can be seen at the end of the house and to protect the base of the wall from any water that might still reach that level

I know that sand and gravel (or crushed lime stone) are used for walkways to provide stability for the base and drainage. Since in my case we have large concrete slabs I don't thin that much water will make it through them so I don't see the need for drainage
Since the slabs will sit on two parallel lines of stone do I need to put sand in the empty space formed between the two lines and under the slabs?

The edging stones are 2x6x30. I am wondering if the line of stones facing the lawn will allow water infiltration toward the house. If I dig next to the hous, between the two lines of stone and if I put gravel and sand there (in order to work by the book) I will be creating an area that will actually work like a frech drain since the soil under the lawn is clayish and it will be set higher than the cavity dug to add sand there. Since sand and gravel are more permeable to water the water will find its way into the cavity filled with sand and grain and from there it will go strainght into the wall/foundation which is exactly what I am trying to avoid here

What do you guys think about the above?

Old 05-18-15, 06:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Edit: I just realized that I shouldn't have answered. Moderator, please delete my post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: