Bluestone Walkway

Old 05-20-15, 07:55 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bluestone Walkway

Last year I posted here for help with laying a very shot bluestone walkway. I dug out a couple inches down, then poured a coarse gravel & concrete sand on top of that, laid the stone and filled the joints with the sand (watered it in).

That held for a short time, but soon it loosened right up, and after the winter the stones have now all shifted. Before I dig it up and redo it, what did I do wrong the first time?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-15, 10:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
I'd bet the problem starts with the base. What exactly is "poured a coarse gravel & concrete sand on top of that"?

Old 05-20-15, 10:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bluestone Walkway

It was last year and I don't remember exactly what size/coarseness I used, but it was probably 2 inches of gravel covered by an inch of concrete sand.

Old 05-20-15, 11:04 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
You say a couple inches. Is that 2"? You need to go at at least 4 to 6 inches. Also you need to put in side support to prevent aggregate to prevent shifting during winter months.

Old 05-20-15, 12:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
The base is key to everything and involves a base of compacted stone usually at least 4-6" deep then your sand layer. The more harsh the climate or application the more I like to go thicker on the base. Next to that compaction, and doing it properly, is key especially with a thicker base.