Covered Patio Roof

Old 05-26-15, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covered Patio Roof

We have a patio in the back yard that we want to put a roof on but not sure what is the best way. The space measures 24.5 feet wide and about 11 feet deep (12 feet since i want the roof to hang 1 foot). 4 post brackets were installed in the concrete when the patio was poured, in the pic it show there spacing. The reason for the strange spacing of the posts is I was going to put rails around the patio and only leave the area that's 3.5 feet open for going in and out of the patio. Initially I wanted to do shingles, with four 4x6 posts and a 4x6 beam across on top of them but now I don't think there is enough slope for it if i put the ledger above the door, under the eaves. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

if you can't read the picture here is the numbers:
post spacing from left to right: 7 feet, 3.5 feet, 13 feet
Height from the floor of concrete to the top of where the ledger board would go is 104 inches.

Thanks
Name:  IMG_0554.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  30.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-15, 03:19 PM
You may need your building department's blessings (meaning a building permit) for the roof design. An improperly-designed roof can collapse and hurt/kill people. That 13' span looks questionable--are you using a steel beam to span it?

Old 05-26-15, 03:36 PM
No, will be using wood beam. I was thinking of using Polycarbonate Corrugated Roof Panels instead of shingles to make it work.

Old 09-04-15, 11:54 AM
I did some more measuring and if I rest the new patio roof on the top plate of the house I can get a 2.5/12 slope, enough for shingles with extra weather barriers under them. I will also be adding an extra post in between the 13 foot span.

However the rafters are 2x6 and the house roof rafters are 2x4, if i rest the new rafters on the the top plate and toe nail them to the existing 2x4 rafters the new 2x6 rafters will stick up about 2 inches higher. My question is can I trim the top of the 2x6 rafter where it meets with the 2x4 rafter so the slope continues down.

thanks