Installing Outer Composite Deck Boards without Visible Fasteners

Old 05-27-15, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Outer Composite Deck Boards without Visible Fasteners

I recently turned my small 4x4 front stoop into a larger front porch / deck. I used hidden fasteners to install the deck boards but I was unsure as to how to install the final deck boards. I purchased rounded boards for the end boards so that the groove would not be exposed. It does not seem to make a lot of sense to screw the last board in when none of the other ones have screws. Do I just screw from the bottom of the deck or install little L brackets on the inside of the rim joist / joists?

What is the correct way to do this?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-15, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
You might want to use the Deckmaster hidden deck bracket.

Old 05-28-15, 07:29 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Well they do make skirting material that is wider but not as thick. It is attached with color matching composite deck screws and usually mounted to a 2x10 or 2x8 rim joists. You also usually start your deck boards from the outside and work back toward the house. That way, you can custom fit the final board in by ripping it to size. Or if the fit is close, you adjust the gap between boards to make up the difference although not as easy on a blind screw system. Have you worked an overhang into the deck boards on the last board or are you picture framing with the skirt material?

Side note, if your porch is more than 30 inches off the ground you need a rail system installed.