Metal Ballisters in Deck Railing

Old 05-31-15, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal Ballisters in Deck Railing

Hello, I have access to quite a few long pieces of 1/2" metal electrical conduit. I am wanting to cut length of this conduit and make ballisters for my deck railing.(Inset 1/2" paddle bit holes in top and bottom railing to cradle.) I know the metal will rust over time and quickly being in the weather.....but......Is there anyway I can coat this piping with say..... a tough log sealer, the same as what I put on my decking when I stain and finish it? Would several, many coats keep the metal from rusting right away? ....Slather it, like I was dipping it in plastic? Is there any other product, I could put to the metal to seal it up from the weather? I can do the same thing with PVC runs but it is much, much more expensive for each ballaster. Thanks for all your great help here on the forum!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
EMT is really cheap even when buying it new. It's thin walled low grade steel with a very thin electro galvanized coating. Not meant to survive the elements. I don't think it would be worth expending much effort or money to preserve it.

Old 06-01-15, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You could prime and paint the conduit AND repaint as needed. Another concern would be damage to the conduit if/when it gets bumped into.