bought patio umbrella base but have problem using with table

Old 05-31-15, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
bought patio umbrella base but have problem using with table

I have a steel patio table that came from a local restaurant when they bought new patio furniture. I bought a patio umbrella and then bought an umbrella base.
When I opened the base package and placed the base near the patio table legs, I realized that the base won't work properly with this table due to the design of the table. The knob on the base that screws in to securely hold the umbrella is at the same height as two rings forming the lower hole for the umbrella pole. I hope the attached photos will give you a clear picture of the situation.

Of course, I can search for a different base but might have the same issue with some of them. I thought a possible solution which would allow using this base would be to cut a section out of the two rings on one side of the table. Does this seem feasible?

Name:  DSCF0315.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  50.2 KBName:  patiotable1.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  43.4 KBName:  patiotable3.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  49.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
I would not alter the table. I would cut the base tubing short enough to fit and use the plastic insert. It looks like you wouldn't have the knob to tighten on the umbrella shaft but cutting the aluminum tube of the base would be much easier than cutting the heavier steel of the table frame.

Old 05-31-15, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I woujldnt cut the table I would just cut the tube for the stand like pilot dave said and then if the tube is thick enough I would tap and three it the same thread as the knob you are cutting off…If you go that route be care full when tightening you will strip the threads on the aluminum base.

Old 06-01-15, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I also would not cut the table.
Some stray thoughts, the goal being to raise the knob above those rings:

Depending on how the tube is attached to the bottom of the umbrella base, would it be possible to add a "filler" section on the bottom of the tube, so that the knob winds up higher than the rings on the table?
or..
Could you make the rectangular base thicker-add a flat piece of something-(granite/stone etc.scraps obtained at a place that makes counter tops(?) of a thickness that would raise the knob? Glue the stone to the bottom of the existing base for stability.

Opposite thinking: could you raise the table height, putting the knob below the rings? (I'd guess that would mess with the comfort level of the table, but it might be worth checking.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it gets resolved.