Roof cover for 2nd level patio

Old 06-01-15, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof cover for 2nd level patio

I want to add a roof to my existing second floor deck. The total size is 10x30. I would like to cover half 10x15.
The deck is off of the master bedroom and over looks a lake. The existing roof on the home is a Hip roof.
I'm assuming 2 things:
1) because of the existing hip roof the patio cover roof will have to be a gable roof. This would also be less disruptive to view and allow natural sunlight.
2) that because of the height and weight. I will have to run at least two 6x6 beams along side of the existing load bearing beams. See photos attached.
I may screen it in at a later date
I will hire professional to complete the project. Seeking additional advice to consider before diving into this project.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-15, 10:59 PM
I've run out of things to click on to get to the "See Photos Attached." Did you not really attach them?

Old 06-02-15, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pictures would certainly help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Posts run vertically while beams run horizontally. How high is the deck off the ground? Are your present posts sitting on poured footings?

Old 06-04-15, 07:48 AM
Name:  IMG_9276.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  41.9 KBName:  IMG_9275.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  37.8 KBName:  IMG_9278.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  39.6 KB

Having some serious issues trying to upload and attach photos. Hoping this works.

Old 06-04-15, 07:51 AM
As you can see, the deck is pretty high off the ground. The posts are on poured footing.

Old 06-04-15, 04:28 PM
I'm going out on a limb, here. What county are you located in?

Old 06-05-15, 02:55 AM
The home is located in Forsyth County. Why would that make a difference?

Old 06-05-15, 03:26 AM
Like I said, out on a limb. Your terrain looked as if it could have been further north. Here in Towns County any footing facing a drop off (and we have some pretty steep ones) the footings must be continuous and not individual. I wanted to make sure any additional weight would not cause a failure at the bottom. I think the most important feature would be the footings and how deep they are and how wide they are.

I would call in an engineer to see if the existing posts where you plan on having the roof will take the additional weight. I would not think adding more posts would add to the strength without adding footings. The engineer would be able to tell.

I agree that a gable roof would look so much better, especially from lakeside.

Old 06-05-15, 06:19 AM
Hey, thanks for the feedback.
The present posts are sitting on a continuous footing. The footing is a L shape and supports the sender blocks that you may notice in the pics. There was plenty of space inside the sender blocks to place the post on top of the footing. I don't remember the thickness of the footing. But, it has to be very thick, because it was poured for the sender blocks that supports the additional 10 feet extension that was added to the back of the home. The sender blocks servers as a support for the addition and as a retainer. I hope that wasn't confusing.

Old 06-05-15, 01:00 PM
Nope, very informative, and glad someone had the foresight to do it right. It gets tricky when you are built on a hillside. I think it will boil down to having a pro look at it and give blessings for the additional weight, or offer alternatives. Keep us posted.