Carpeting a deck??

Old 06-06-15, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpeting a deck??

So I have a small uncovered older deck that is still solid and usable however it will not take stain or paint. Just peels off in a short time. I had it professionally paint stained and it lasted a while but I constantly had to touched it up. This got old and I tried several other paint stains. Then tried the Deck Restore (and followed directions). Now the Restore is peeling after less than a year and looks bad. So my idea is to carpet it with a good outdoor mold resistant carpet. I know moisture is an issue so I thought about putting a layer of underlayment plastic down first to protect the wood and then the carpet on top. I would be happy with 2 good years. Any thoughts? Perhaps I've lost my mind.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-15, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I would think the plastic would just trap more moisture. How soon did the professional job start to fail? I don't think I've ever seen a stain job on a deck not last 2 yrs if it was prepped right and a quality stain was used. What type of decking do you have?

Old 06-07-15, 05:36 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Nothing will make a deck rot faster then covering it.
No such thing as a paint stain.
Which is it. was it painted or stain and what was used?
Any solid stain or paint will not hold up on decking.

Old 06-07-15, 06:06 AM
The house and 3 decks were professionally painted 4 years ago using what Sherwin Williams called paint stain. The house and big deck still look great. Two smaller decks peel badly. Started peeling within 6 months and have never stopped. I need some type of solution. I may need to just put in composite.

Old 06-07-15, 06:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How quickly after construction of the deck in question was it painted/stained? Was it added after the other decks. Unfortunately painting/staining pressure treated wood that hasn't dried considerably may not take, and the following coats will not be any better. Does this deck receive an inordinate amount of sun as compared to the other decks?

Old 06-07-15, 06:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Do you know which particular coating they used? I've used a lot of SWP coatings but have never heard of any of theirs or anyone else having a coating called a paint stain

Did the painter offer any type of warranty? did he come back, assess the failure and restain?
What makes the big deck different from the 2 little ones? different sun exposure? more rain/dew? same type of decking?

Old 06-07-15, 06:15 AM
Received 73 Votes on 68 Posts
If you used Rustolium brand Restore and it was done professionally, I would contact the manufacture and ask about a warranty. Rustolium makes a whole series of Restore product including a 2X on up to a 12X for decks.

Old 06-07-15, 06:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If anything, I would use artificial turf, instead of carpet.

Old 06-07-15, 10:03 AM
Received 73 Votes on 68 Posts
Indoor/outdoor carpeting and/or "Astro" turf is meant to go on decks and patios. They will allow water and moisture to go through and dry out. But I tend to agree with Karl. On the the other hand we sell lots of indoor/outdoor to people who have pool decks. It seems to be very popular for that use.