Botched stain job

Old 06-07-15, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Botched stain job

So I stained my deck with an oil based semi transparent stain....when I started I was starting with a small can just to try it out. I like it so I kept going but I ran out and one portion (about 5 boards or so) was incomplete and dried before I could finish. Now I have patchy uneven stain with overlap marks, plus for some reason it did not absorb well in one section on the same boards so it's messed up to say the least. What is my best option? Go over with another coat? Sand it down the best I can? Or use stripper to completely start over on those boards? The rest of the deck looks ok.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums Nathan!

A little hard to say without being there to inspect it. A 2nd coat of stain should minimize the lap marks. If that isn't satisfactory you'd need to remove/sand the 1st coat.

Whenever apply stain it is important to apply it to a full board [no stopping in the middle] Basically you have 2 coats where the lapmarks are. This is also important when applying the stain in the sun so the stain doesn't dry too fast - make sure you can stain an entire board keeping a wet edge until you get to the end of the board.