How should I stain a patched (new pine lumber) pine deck?

Old 06-07-15, 06:08 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How should I stain a patched (new pine lumber) pine deck?

My girlfriend has a pine deck, we're guessing 10 years old or so, that's been very much neglected over the years. It was warped by a tree going out from the middle of it, and it hasn't been painted/stained in years. Until very recently it was coated with a "deckover" type paint - coarse, thick red paint. I hated it.

So recently we've taken on the task of trying to fix it. I cut out the boards around the tree and patched in new pressure treated pine. I also removed the lame railings it had all around it, cutting down the post boards to just below the supports, and again patched in new boards (2x6).

This weekend we rented a drum sander and went to town, and now it looks like this:

Name:  deck 1.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  deck 2.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  43.2 KB

We're going to finish up the sanding process very soon, but now I'm wondering about the possibility of staining it. Will a semi-transparent stain work in this situation? The fresh boards are obviously much brighter than the old ones - would using deck wash and brightener help? Or will applying a few extra coats of stain do the trick? Any words of wisdom would be great.

We're hoping to avoid paint or solid deck stain if at all possible, FWIW.

Old 06-08-15, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There will be some differences between the new/old wood, both in color and texture/grain. IMO if one coat of semi-transparent stain wasn't acceptable, a second coat would be. Might not be perfect but should look ok.

Old 06-08-15, 10:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Just my 2¢ but I would remove that tree instead of working around it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: