Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Best material for smoothing out this uneven gap between garage and driveway?

Old 06-09-15, 07:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi /r/HomeImprovement,

I have where my driveway meets the garage:

My hunch is that it's from the new house settling, causing the unevenness. But I'd definitely like to fix it! What kind of ashphalt/material do I need to buy from the store, and how difficult is it to create a smoothed-out ramp so I don't feel a bump every time I park in our garage? I'm guessing that I should be using a driveway repair product like this SAKRETE Asphalt Repair.

And do I need to blast this area with a pressure washer before applying the fix, or will a spray down with a garden hose be sufficient?

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-19-24 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Image removed by request
Old 06-09-15, 10:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It could be the way the pic was taken but it looks like you need a truck to pour the asphalt.

Old 06-09-15, 01:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree that hot asphalt will do a better job of patching/making a ramp. I've never been all that satisfied with the job that a cold patch does.

Old 06-09-15, 02:05 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Looks like a really crappy driveway job without proper compacting and fill.
If it was mine I'd cut out the asphalt, dig down 12" add 6" of #57 stone, compact, crush and run, compact then and form up to pore a concrete aprin
There still will need to be a step there to keep water from getting in under the door.
1" is the common step.

Old 06-09-15, 04:40 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree, doesn't look like a Sakrete job to me. I like Joe's approach whether you use concrete or more asphalt. Trying to add an apron to the top of what you have will always look like a patch job.

We can't see the grade 10' or 15' out from the door, but somewhere out there the driveway should be relatively level. Whether it is 3' or 30', you should re-do the driveway, properly preparing the base as Joe outlined, all the way up to the door.

Where you live with some frost, it is important to drain away from the houses and to seal between the driveway and the slab to keep the water out. No water, no frost.

Bud

Old 06-09-15, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would do it in concrete also--form and pour a wedge-shaped transition, about 2' wide, at least 4" thick tapered up to 6" at the garage slab, with an expansion filler between the garage and the transition. Making it the length of a double garage width, plus a buffer at each end, works out to about 20 C.F. of material. If you lack the skills to do that, you should consider using perma-patch, an asphalt repair product that comes in bags or buckets. Poured directly from the containers into prepared areas, spread with a rake and then compacted with a manual or plate tamper. I've seen several demonstrations of their product at trade shows, and was quite impressed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: