Deck Cost Estimate

Old 06-10-15, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Deck Cost Estimate

I'm in a suburb of NYC and have an existing 14 X 24 deck, 3' off the ground, with a railing and 2 sets of stairs. I would like the decking, railing and stairs replaced. I would like to compare PT, cedar and composite with a vinyl railing. I would like it installed with hidden fasteners. I realize that pricing something like this has many variables but I'm looking for a ballpark figure before I call in some contractors. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-15, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ok, here ya go....anywhere from $4000 to $20,000...depending on work quality, materials, reliability of the contractor, permits, licensing, codes, etc.

No way, no how can anyone give you anything even close to an accurate price.

Call 3 or 4 contractors, preferably a few recommended by friends or neighbors. Get quotes, ask for their references, copies of licenses, insurance, etc.

Come on...you've been here long enough to know it's just impossible for anyone to do that online.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-10-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 08:29 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
While gunguy45 is basically correct, you can at least price each of those materials. Labor costs are not as easy to calculate. How far north of the Bronx are you?

Last edited by Pulpo; 06-10-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The problem with even trying to price materials is that most contractors get discounts on bulk orders and may use different suppliers. It will be hard for you to find that out.

I guess you can do some comparisons, but everyone will say their product is better so it costs more or that stuff won't last. Let the bidder do the work, then compare what they give you.

Pulpo is at least in NY, so he may have a better idea, but that's what I always found to be true.

Old 06-11-15, 08:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure if Home Depot gives discounts to contractors, the way that other supply houses do. I live south of where the OP lives. That's why I asked how far north of the Bronx he is. Either way, I would list the materials that are needed & price them in all three types. Here's one of many deck construction calculator sites. Google for more.

Deck Calculator - A Fine Homebuilding Calculator

Old 06-11-15, 11:24 AM
I expected that answer since, as I said, there are many variables. I'm 10 miles north of the Bronx in Ardsley. I like the calculator but wouldn't want use any decking from HD. We have enough local supply houses to price materials. Do contractors use a sq. ft. price for labor? Any idea? Would you guys have a link to a type of hidden fastener that you like? I built this deck myself 30 years ago, when I was young!!!

Old 06-12-15, 03:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never had occasion to use hidden fasteners. It was either a nail or screw gun. Another cost you have to consider, if you haven't already, is carting. I imagine that you will need a 10 yard dumpster. I was able to get one for $275 but they can cost $400. Some places require a permit. If that's the case, they will want to know why you need a dumpster which could cause some inspector, to watch the job. Once the decking is removed, they may insist on installing the proper footings, if they aren't there already. The frost line is probably still 3' there. You aren't that far north. The job can really snowball. Removing the decking is labor intensive unless stainless steel screws were used which I only saw once. They were a God send when I wanted to reuse a few boards. Otherwise, the chance of removing them without a lot of cutting, is slim.

If I didn't have problems with the transmission in my van, I would certainly offer an estimate. As it stands, I don't know if it would make it over the bridge.

I don't calculate prices on sq ft. I list the materials & price them. Then I estimate how many days it will take me to do the job & multiply that by a daily price. I had a boss who's daily price for labor was $400 per day & that was over 10 years ago. I never understood how he got jobs.

Old 06-12-15, 06:32 PM
Thanks for giving me a few other things to consider. I'll get the 3 estimates and get back to you. Pulpo ( I love when I see your screen name, it's octopus in Italian), thanks for the offer.

Old 06-12-15, 08:29 PM
Temporarily Suspended
LOL. That's correct, it means octopus in Italian. It means the same in Spanish. A Colombian, at work once called me pulpo. It had something to do with my hands but that's another story.