More wobbly free standing deck questions

Old 06-15-15, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More wobbly free standing deck questions

So I am building a freestanding deck(48" high) and the posts(4x4) seem really wobbly. I am using usp g185 post base. Every post seems to have a 1/4" of play in all directions(left,right,front,back). Have put up beams(2*2x10) as well as joists (2x10) still has wobble, although maybe not as bad. Obviously I am trying to fix the problem. Will knee braces running from post to beam and joists fix my problem or what must I do. Much help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-15, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
Where is the wobble coming from? You mention the free play around the 4x4 on the post bases. Are your posts sliding around on the base? Is the base wobbling or moving? Or, are your 4x4 posts flexing and bending? If it's the posts flexing the knee braces (done properly) can help alot. If your posts are sliding around on the bases or if the basses themselves are wobbling then knee braces probably won't help.

Old 06-15-15, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. It appears that the base themselves are wobbling. It's not wobbling where embedded in the concrete. But the plate that attaches the post to the embedded tube has some wiggle.

Old 06-15-15, 11:12 AM
So now I guess I will sink a few posts and bolt them to the beams to keep it steady. That or use mobile home ground anchors and steel cables

Old 06-15-15, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
Old 06-15-15, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
I assume you have threaded rod or an anchor bolt in the center of your post base. Did you tighten the nut to lock it in place? It sounds like your bracket might be slopping around in the mounting hole. There is often free play to allow for fine tuning the post position because the anchor bolt is smaller diameter than the hole in the bracket. Once you know the exact position you tighten it down to lock the bracket in place.

Old 06-15-15, 11:47 AM
No, this base the city told me to use is elevated and embedded into the concrete. It's a usp g185 I believe. Wish I had gone with all thread and the normal bolt on plate as I am familiar with them

Last edited by Bobthenonbuilde; 06-15-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 12:43 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Current code is to use 6x6 posts and all rim joists are to be notched onto the post and then through bolted with appropriate hardware for pressure treated lumber. They make the same base for the larger posts.

Here is an updated copy of the previous link provided by XSleeper based on 2012 IRC and not 2009 IRC - http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-12.pdf The joist and beam spans have been reduced in the updated version.

This should be a fairly easy upgrade as your current post are not embedded in concrete but sitting on top of.