Porch Ceiling?....T&G Beadboard?

Old 06-15-15, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Porch Ceiling?....T&G Beadboard?

I am going to be installing a T&G pine beadboard ceiling on my exterior porch. I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1. The ceiling will be sloped following the framing of the roof above (shed). I would like to install the ceiling boards directly to the framing. Is this okay or should I use furring? I would like to avoid using furring but i will re-evaluate if it will seriously compromise the product.

2. Do I need to vent the air cavities between the rafters? I imagine that I do. What are my options for this kind of venting. Perhaps some kind of soffit vent at the top and bottom?

3. I would like to use a white wash stain on the ceiling. Should I stain both sides? Any recommend white wash stains for exterior use? Will the stain serve as a sealer as well?

I would appreciate any guidance you guy can give me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-15, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Are you talking individual pine planks or sheets of T&G looking paneling? Pictures of your porch would certainly help us give better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

You will need your joists spaced well, and the ends sistered so you will have a landing space for the edge of your boards (nailer). Aside from that, I see no need in furring it out, unless you want to change direction of the bead.

Until you let us see the porch, we can't comment well on the venting problem.

Marksr, will be along shortly on the painting aspect. It is always best to treat both sides, but sometimes it is not practical.

Old 06-16-15, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Generally a white wash stain is best applied after installation because it's easy to mar it when handling.... unless you are using a waterbased poly overtop of the stain.

Old 06-17-15, 05:38 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Is this an enclosed porch, or is it ever going to be?
SmartVent Shed Roof/Off-Wall Applications
Anyplace I've bought T & G from warned me to seal all sides before installing to help prevent cupping.
No way would I go over any finish with a clear sealer.
What happens when it starts to fail?

Old 06-18-15, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Im working on getting some pictures up for you guys. It is a simple shed roof porch coming off the backside (north) of my house. It will not be enclosed.

I will be using pine T&G beadboard planks (1x6), not the panels or sheets.

So what I gather is to seal all sides. Thinking of using and exterior semi transparent white stain from BenMoore....Arborcoat or something like that. If I stain the boards prior to installing, will i need to fill the nail holes? I will use a finish nail gun for installation.

Old 06-18-15, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Most of the nails will be placed in the groove and hid from sight but there will be places that need to be faced nailed.