tree limbs extending over patio roof, problem or not?

Old 06-15-15, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tree limbs extending over patio roof, problem or not?

This is a rental property owned by my son. The attached photo shows the roof. I believe that the limbs should at least be trimmed. But, I think a bigger issue may be evolving. The tree is, as I recall, only about 5 ft. or so from the end of the patio. And, the property line, upon which a wire fence stands, is even closer to the patio. In other words, the tree is just over the property line.

I think the best solution would be to have the tree cut down before it gets bigger. The tree is still young. As i recall, the trunk is not more than 8" in diameter. And, getting the tree cut down may require some delicate negotiation with the neighbor. First, disagreement by the neighbor on cutting it down could be an issue. And, who pays for cutting it down could be a point of disagreement.

Name:  DSCF0295.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  52.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-15, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just my opinions...

The person that wants the tree removed should be the one to pay for it.

The limbs should be trimmed back so they are at least 10 feet from the house.

Even if the tree is planted on the neighbours property, you have the legal right to cut any limbs that overhang the property line.

Old 06-15-15, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am inclined to think you are correct about who would pay for cutting it down. But, I now think some inquiry regarding any city regulations that might pertain to this should first be sought. Also, the tree is really too close to the neighbor's house, so that might be a point for discussion. The tree really should not have been planted there in the first place.

Regarding cutting limbs, cutting to at least 10 feet from the house would mean cutting the tree down since it is less than 10 feet from the patio. So, I guess we could at least trim it back to the property/fence line, which would basically amount to shaving the tree on one side.

Old 06-16-15, 04:58 AM
Received 121 Votes on 111 Posts
If it were me I would approach the neighbor and on friendly way discuss the problem. Offer to help pay for the removal and offer an alternative "decoration" of sorts (perhaps a Pergola archway). If neighbor digs in his heels then in writing put him on notice that you will be cutting limbs that overhang your property. Check local laws then do it.