How to drain water under the deck?

Old 06-16-15, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to drain water under the deck?

We are building a deck that will be only 1 feet above the ground ... and wondering how can we make sure that water is drained properly... we are close to Seattle and it rains a lot so if water becomes stagnant under the deck ...we will be miserable with mosquito etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 06:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Make sure that the ground is pitched away from the house. You can install 1 or 2 dry wells, if you don't think that the pitch is enough. I would build the deck with a slight pitch, as well. Don't use a ledger board. They collect water & rot. Use a free standing design.

Old 06-17-15, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bring is as much fill dirt as you need to have a good slope away from the house under the deck. With it being only 1 foot up you won't have all that much room but do the best you can. Most landscaping supply places will have a soil/sand mix (or will mix one for you) that is designed to drain well. If you use that for the backfill it will help ensure that any water that doesn't run off out from under the deck will at least soak into the soil so you don't have standing pools of water under there breeding mosquitoes. I don't recommend gravel for this because the water flows right through it rather than being encourage to run out from under the deck and away from your foundation.

Old 06-17-15, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oh, one more thing...as you place the soil, compact it as best you can so the slope won't change after settling. You won't be able to make adjustments once the decking is on.

Old 06-17-15, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
After you have the ground under the deck graded so the water runs off you can cap it with a layer of stone/gravel if you think there will be enough water to cause erosion.

Old 06-19-15, 12:00 AM
You need to find a solution for the water under the deck for sure because mosquitoes LOVE standing water. If you cannot resolve the patio problem maybe try fogging the patio with mosquito fogger. That could be your answer to eliminating mosquitoes from the deck area.

Old 06-19-15, 01:41 AM
Can someone explain how to create little slope under deck

I am not quite sure how to create a slope for water to drain..

can someone show a video or pics?

I am using a free standing design with out any attachment to house...

but frame touches the concrete slab and just a little touch to cedar shake siding ...is that ok?

Old 06-19-15, 04:54 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I assumed & maybe I was wrong that the deck was being built over dirt. If there is a slab there, it could already be pitched enough, to drain the water. Use a level to determine, if that's the case.

Old 06-19-15, 09:17 AM
Deck is over the dirt... But one end of frame's 2x8 is touching concrete slab which is foundation on house... Also can someone show how to create slope away from house.. If you can point to video that will be great

Old 06-19-15, 07:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would use top soil to create the slope. Install the footings & the frame first. Then fill in between the joists with top soil. It's true that it's not good to have the soil touch the wood but I don't see any other way. Maybe someone else has a better idea.