Rebuilding retaining wall at end of driveway, need advice

Old 06-17-15, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding retaining wall at end of driveway, need advice

Hello. I'm getting my driveway paved in the next few weeks, and want to rebuild the retaining wall that is over the culvert at the end of the driveway. I've attached a picture of what it currently looks like, and what I'm planning. I need some advice on a few things though...

1.) How long should I make the 6x6's I'm going to use? Someone told me to use 16' boards, so 8' on each side of the culvert? If I do this, I assume I need to use the same length all the way to the bottom of the culvert?
2.) How many 'deadmen' should I put in? Are two in the middle row enough?
3.) Do I need any sort of drainage behind the bottom of the wall (not sure where I would drain it to)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Name:  Culvert-Current1.jpg
Views: 12709
Size:  51.5 KBName:  Culvert-Plan.jpg
Views: 3606
Size:  14.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 06:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
16' should be sufficient, 8 on each side. I would drill some holes in the wall & pour some gravel behind it. That should help with the drainage. Do you plan to rebuild the wall before or after the driveway is poured?

Old 06-17-15, 06:57 AM
I was planning on doing the wall before the driveway was done, that way the paving company could pave right up to the edge of the newly constructed wall.

Old 06-17-15, 07:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What's the distance between the back of the retaining wall & the driveway? I'm wondering about the weight of the truck & the pour. Who is going to frame the driveway?

Old 06-17-15, 07:29 AM
Currently there is approx 8' between the back of the old wall and the gravel driveway. To be honest, I don't really need it paved right up to the edge of the wall...leaving a few feet between the gravel and the wall won't bother me. The paving company will be framing the driveway.

How about the number of 'deadman's' I need? And am I using rebar to fasten the 6x6's together?

Old 06-17-15, 07:50 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Home Depot has spikes that are made to fasten the 6x6s. They look like the nails that are used on rain gutters but larger. I imagine that 2 deadmen are sufficient but I don't know the exact formula, to calculate it.

Old 06-22-15, 10:09 AM
Just wanted to follow up and say thx for the advice on this. Got it done on the weekend, and it looks much better than it did. Digging the tie backs/deadmen wasn't much fun though...the existing driveway was packed pretty good.

Attached Images   
Old 06-22-15, 02:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It certainly does look better. Is that you with the sledge hammer? Are you left handed or can you swing the hammer from both sides? I can write with my left hand but I can hammer a nail with it.

Old 06-22-15, 04:43 PM
Nope, I had a couple of buddies helping me out. I was on the other side of the camera.

Old 06-22-15, 04:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Smart move. I should have known that you were the director.