Building Out Deck to Meet Retaining Wall

Old 06-19-15, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building Out Deck to Meet Retaining Wall

Hi All,

I've always had good luck on these forums, so I'll pick your brains again about an issue I've run into.
I'm extending an existing Trex deck to meet up with a concrete retaining wall, the surface of which is flush with a concrete patio. The idea is to be able to walk from the concrete patio directly onto the deck (Picture Attached). My question is what would be the best way to accomplish this:

1. Bring the deck flush with the top (surface) of the concrete wall/patio and either attach to the side of the concrete wall like a ledger board to a house, or don't attach, incase the concrete moves. (Pictured as "Side")

2. Hang the deck joists over the patio, so there is a step up onto the deck and either attach or don't for the same reason. (Pictured as "Top")

I'm sure the pictures explain better than I did. Ideally, I'd like to go with option 1, running it all flush so there's no step up, but I'm not sure of the potential negative long term effects.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-15, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Deck Extension

I would attach the deck framing to the retaining wall with the top of the framing dropped below the top of the wall by the thickness of the deck boards so that the finished deck surface would be flush with the top of the wall. If the wall moves, the deck goes with it and remains flush where the two meet.

Old 06-20-15, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Will it be attached to the posts of your existing deck, or will it have its own support? I would build it free standing from the monolith, but at the level Ken says. You don't need a trip factor. I don't think the wall will move, but concrete and wood will expand and contract at different rates, so it may need consideration.