What deck material is this (photo attached)?

Old 06-21-15, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What deck material is this (photo attached)?

What kind of deck material/surface is this called (see photos below)?

The reason I ask is (1) I can't seem to find this style/material/surface on any google search about decks, and (2) I'm interested in repainting the surface. There are a lot of Douglas Fir trees along the periphery, which brings down a lot of needles all year round (see photos). I try and keep the deck clean by brooming it every couple weeks (and some times spraying, and every now and then, power washing), but it never looks clean for long. The needles and debris are also starting to discolor it a bit too. So I'm thinking of repainting it, but want to start with 'well - what material is this?'

Also, any recommendations on paint or sealant, or tips on how to keep the deck looking cleaner more year round (given the situation) would be really helpful and appreciated!

I'm in the general Seattle area, with typical Pacific Northwest weather (rain for 9 months, sun for 3).

Name:  IMG_1191.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1192.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  32.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-15, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It looks like a concrete patio, if not, can you post a pic of the underside? How is the railing attached?
Paint might not clean any better than what you currently have although a darker color may help the dirt/grime not be as noticeable.

Old 06-21-15, 06:43 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It is called DecTec membrane. DecTec | Home

It is a rubberized membrane that is glued down to a substrate such as plywood and is designed to be relatively maintenance free. It's pretty expensive stuff. However, I do not know if it is paintable and how well it would hold up as most paints are not designed for under foot traffic. The fact that it is rubber means it moves ever so slightly under foot so any coating I assume would wear out in due time.

Old 06-21-15, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's a rubberized membrane the only type of coating that would have a chance of working would be latex, solvent based coatings wouldn't work!

Are you using any detergent when you wash it? I'd vote for not painting it.

Old 06-21-15, 08:38 AM
Is that a Deck . . . . or a Covered Porch ?

I don't see how it drains. The material (under the coating) looks like so kind of exterior grade Chip Board.

Old 06-21-15, 09:21 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Dectec should be installed with a positive slope toward the perimeter to allow for adequate drainage. It is similar to a pool liner (only much thicker) installed in reverse over a structure and then wrapping over the edges so everything drains down. At the building, it would be wrapped up and then trimmed to prevent water from getting behind and under. Seams are heat welded and it is adhered with a solvent based adhesive. I have installed this on hotel balconies to help waterproof them. NP1 is the recommended sealent should a tear need mending.

Old 06-22-15, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I examined the deck a little further with your responses in mind.

I'm not sure if it's Dec-Tec, but it certainly may be some kind of dried layer. I looked at the Dec-Tec website, and it looks like a roll that's applied on the surface. When I looked at my deck, there's a section like the following photos that make it look like some kind of material was applied and cured on top. In the picture, looks like either a patch tore off or they didn't fully cover it. I'm not familiar enough with this technique to know how something like this is done.

Name:  1.1_Surface.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  33.5 KB
Name:  1.2_Surface.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  35.8 KB

I typically clean it with mild soap, and on occasion power washed it when it was really bad. But the white just always looked grimy, even with a lot of effort.

There does appear to be a positive slope away from the house (just based on watching the deck when it rains and afterwards). However, I feel like drainage is a problem, because rain water seems to roll off evenly down to the ground floor along the side of the deck and causes a mess below (i.e. disrupting top soil):

Name:  2.1_Side.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  37.3 KB
Name:  2.2_Side.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  33.2 KB

Also, it may be the culprit for this mold or mildew that's developed on the exterior wood panels on the underside of the deck (see images below). I moved in a year ago, and this mold was there originally. It hasn't changed, but I've been keeping an eye on it. Someone mentioned a gutter system to me before, but I haven't seen any reference to one online to better understand my options.

Name:  3.1_Under.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  26.7 KB

So:

1) Is there any DIY ways of improving the drainage issue?
2) Based on the surface photos, does that change my options for good ways of re-coloring/protecting the deck?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-15, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd use a stronger detergent to clean it, TSP or maybe laundry detergent. Adding bleach to the mix will help kill/remove any mildew.