Building Front Steps - Need a LOT of Help

Old 06-24-15, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building Front Steps - Need a LOT of Help

I'm looking to do a major project for the girlfriend and me. We want to put stairs on the front of the house. I've never done a project like this, and want to make sure that it is done right.

Here is the area we're working with:

Imgur

Here is an idea of what she would like:

- Album on Imgur

How should I go about starting this? I absolutely want to do it properly. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-15, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! That would make a very nice statement upon entrance to the house. I'll touch on the measurement part of it, while the concrete guys will chime in for the actual building of the steps. I'm a naildriver.

Steps over 3' will require a handrail, and it isn't a bad idea at any rate. You have two critical measurements.....rise and run. Your rise and run should be somewhere around 18 united inches, so if you have an 11" tread, you should have a 7" rise. Conversely if you have a long tread, say approaching 14", then the rise is reduced to about 4". All rises and runs should be identical, or within 3/8" over the entire set.

On your proposed pictures, note picture one and three have too tall a rise on the bottom step, and picture 2 has too high a rise on the top step. Not code worthy. Do your measurements carefully, and use a stairtread calculator if necessary. EZ Stairs Free Stair Calculator

Old 06-26-15, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for this, it is a good start! I have built stairs with my stepfather when I was much younger, and this refreshed my memory.

Can anyone else chime in with what I need?

Thank you!