can I use electrical concrete mixer to put drive way?

Old 06-24-15, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I use electrical concrete mixer to put drive way?

I have an electrical cement mixer and I want to pour driveway using this concrete/cement mixer but I have heard mixed reviews....some say its ok to use it...some say ...no order cement truck because using this mixer you can't finish whole job in one day ..(total area would be about 700 square feet) so there will be many cold joints and they will crack..

Is this true?

what is your opinion? there is no solution to cold joint problem..I assume I will take about 7 days to complete about 700 sq. feet area so there will be 7 cold joints...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-15, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You have to be kidding! If my math is right that's over 8.5 cubic yards at 4" thick (I recommend a bit more...5" at least). 700SF is 400-500 bags of mix (depending on weight). I did about 120 80 lb bags one time with me mixing and 2 people placing for a walkway. It was a solid 12-14 hrs of backbreaking work. I was sore for days.

Do you really feel like handling 16 tons of concrete? Twice? Once to mix and another to place.

Get a truck!

Old 06-25-15, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I agree!! Having a truck come in will likely give you a better mix of concrete and make the job a lot easier [not that it's an easy job] With that many bags I bet the price difference isn't all that much.

Old 06-25-15, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I agree. An electric mixer isn't even an option. It's done in other countries all the time with large gas powered mixers and large crews but in the US where ready mix concrete is available everywhere it's not the best option.