Suggestions to extend life of decking

Old 06-25-15, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions to extend life of decking

I have a floating boat dock that has a metal roof with a second level deck built over the roof. This is common cunstruction method on our lake but I am having an issue with the deck boards on the upper level.

Half of the top level is covered, the front half is open and that is where I am havign the trouble. The deck boards on top are less than 10 yrs old but I have already had to replace more than half in that section. the remainder are splitting and causing splinters making it dangerous for the kids to walk around on top.

I know this area gets more sun and weather than any othe part of the dock, but the difference is huge. Docks of same construction near me do not seem to have this issue to the extent I do. Any suggestions on extending the life of these boards?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-15, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

From what kind of wood is the deck made? Has a sealer ever been applied to it?

Old 06-25-15, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Keeping the wood clean and coated with a deck stain goes a long ways toward extending their life.

Old 06-29-15, 07:51 AM
Wood is pressure treated Pine.

It had a stain on it when we bought the house. I applied the Behr Weather Proofing Finish to it when we purchased 5 years ago - suppose to be a 4 year product. I reapplied the same last year. We replaced several boards and staiend them with the same product as well.

On some of the older boards, the stain seems to be peeling off. Again , this is only an issue in this one section fo the deck. The bottom near the water that has people climbing out of the water constantly during the summer has none of these issues nor does the top portion thats under roof.

Old 06-29-15, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
I don't use Behr products but I've never seen anything that lasted four years on a deck, let alone one this close to the water.

Might be worth trying a different product but I would definitely be thinking the sealer needs to be re-applied every year or two instead.

Old 06-29-15, 12:29 PM
Possibly. But like I said, everything else seems to be holding up just fine. Including the portions directly over the water.

Old 06-29-15, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Something is causing the area in question to have a shorter coating life, simplest thing to do is to clean and restain that portion as needed.