New Sun Porch - Thermal and Finish FLOOR Upgrades

Old 06-26-15, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Sun Porch - Thermal and Finish FLOOR Upgrades

The floor of our sun porch is a typical deck surface of closely spaced 2X4s on the flat. As part of a plan to extend the seasons for porch use, we want to upgrade to a less rustic finished floor. (We will also spray foam insulation under the decking.) We have sufficient step-down clearance from the kitchen and dining room to accommodate the added thickness, however the top surface of the current 2X4 floor exhibits the standard degree of irregularity that's found on any "deck," and I'm wondering how to level and smooth that surface to accept underlayment and finish flooring.
My first thought was to rent a drum sander and go at it that way, but I figured I should see what other creative minds think about the problem. How say ye?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
What size floor joists does the porch have? how far do they span?

I wouldn't think the 2x4s would be all that uneven if they've not been exposed to the weather ??
How much unevenness is there? Have you laid a straightedge across it?

Old 06-27-15, 06:46 PM
2 X 10 joists, 16" o/c, <8-foot span... It's a SOLID deck.
Sorry, the decking is 2 X 6s, not 2 X 4s
The deck "exhibits the standard degree of irregularity that's found on any deck..."
Looks good, feels irregular underfoot. A 4-foot straightedge reads level across the high spots but shows slits of light through the low spots.
I'm thinking 15/32 Advantech over vapor barrier topped with vinyl plank finish floor...
but should I sand for a smoother subsurface?

Last edited by latelifebiker; 06-27-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 08:18 AM
How are you going to attach the advantech over the vapor barrier? Screwing/stapling it would defeat the purpose of the barrier, no?

I would probably go ahead and sand, to get the flattest floor possible, but it's a PITA. If you use a vapor barrier with foam insulation attached, that might help with any irregularities in the floor.

Old 07-01-15, 04:28 PM
My previous post should have specified 19/32 AdvanTech, not 15/32.
The vapor barrier in the finished floor structure is just a second line of defense. As mentioned in the OP, I plan to spray foam insulation under the 2x6 decking. That oughta seal it up pretty good.
The foam would be a good idea if I could tolerate the thickness it adds, but I can't. I'm about at my limit with the 19/32 (or 23/32) AdvanTech and vinyl planks.
I was hoping I could just knock the high spots off the deck planks and count on the AdvanTech to provide the smooth stability I'm looking for. If the stuff can bridge the span between joists that are 16" oc, doesn't it follow that it will have little trouble spanning planks that are less than 6" oc? Remember, it is a "porch;" I don't plan to put a piano out there.