What type of stain should we use on deck?

Old 06-26-15, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of stain should we use on deck?

I was told use stain and not paint on cedar deck boards..

what type of stain...I was reading and it said some where only use semi transparent stain with clear sealer ...it said avoid solid color stain

can you please give your suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Depends what you want. I would go stain over paint because it's a little easier when it comes time to re-coat the boards. Solid stain will typically last the longest but also obscure the wood grain the most so I like to reserve it for old wood. On new, I typically use a semi-transparent stain.

I also buy my products from paint stores, not paint departments in larger stores.

Old 06-26-15, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
With new cedar I would either use a toner/translucent stain or a semi-transparent. Usually a semi-transparent stain will last longer than a toner stain. Inquire locally as to which brands hold up the best. Make sure it is a deck stain! Siding stains don't hold up well on decks.

Old 07-04-15, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
im-n-s-h-fo, choose solvent-based as latex stains are just another word for paint,,, TRUE stains penetrate while latex sits on top,,, we like the expensive olympic better than anything else,,, most public works designers will spec it, too

Old 07-04-15, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Which type of stain to use depends a lot on the environment the wood will be exposed to. I used to be a firm believer in oil base exterior stains but when I moved to fla I found that the intense fla sun would dry up oil base coatings and it would fall off and blow away .... in a year of less. It's always good to get local input!!

I'm partial to the waterborne stains, they are similar to oil base but clean up with water. Most latex stains are solid stains although I have used a few that were semi-transparent or translucent. For the most part, oil base will suck into the wood better and seal better but latex will last longer in the sun. Waterborne kind of takes the best of both although it does take longer to cure than oil or latex.