Screws into composite decking

Old 06-26-15, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws into composite decking

Does anyone know if deck screws INTO (not through) composite decking will hold fairly well, or will they strip out? Nothing structural.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
Yes, they will hold. But "fairly well" is a big fuzzy area. Many companies make furniture out of materials similar to composite decking and the fasteners hold well enough.

Old 06-26-15, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Using the proper screws goes a long way. Composite decking screws have dual threads to allow the tip of the screw dig deeper into the joist while a less radical thread allows slower movement of the decking and thus a tighter pull down. They also don't mushroom at the top. The-DeckMATE #10 3 in. Star Pan-Head Composite Deck Screws (5 lb.-Pack)-115705 - The Home Depot

Old 06-26-15, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
This is quite a strange question. You are asking how well a screw will hold if it doesn't go all the way through the composite decking? It really depends on how thick the composite is, how long the screw is, what type of composite it is- whether a solid or hollow profile, what is being screwed down, and whether it will have any vertical or horizontal stress on it. There is definitely not enough information to give an answer if we have to guess what you are holding with these short screws.

Old 06-29-15, 08:26 AM
It sounds to me like you're effectively asking "pullout strength" in composite decking. I would ask your decking manufacturer. I would expect it to be very limited.

If it was me, I would add wood blocking below the decking (if possible). Alternatively, you might get more strength with glue.

Old 06-29-15, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Probably need more info on what you're planning to give you the best answer.

Old 06-29-15, 05:41 PM
Using the solid composite decking as a sill plate between posts on a screen porch. Will have a 2x6 (on end) on top of it as a kick plate to which Screen Tight plastic screen extrusions will attach. The idea is to fasten the 2x to the decking with pocket screws. Don't want PT lumber in contact with floor because the porch is also playpen for my wife's pet goose!

Old 06-30-15, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Eh, I don't know about that idea....

Better wait for pros like Larry or Brant to sign off on the idea.

Old 07-02-15, 08:59 AM
Test results! Kreg pocket hole screws hold just fine driven into solid 1 composite decking. Can't pull 'em out even with a short pry bar.