Wood or Trex

Old 06-27-15, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood or Trex

Deck needs to be repaired - enough so that the decking really all needs to be replaced. I realize Trex are more expensive, but require less maintenance. In your experience which do you like better?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-15, 04:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you have children who like to run barefoot, Trex can get hot.

Old 06-27-15, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have seen many reports of problems with some of the composites. Staining, discoloration, etc. The problem is, they can't be removed or covered up once the stain is in the material.

Another consideration, most composites require a much sturdier structure than a normal wood deck. 12" spacing on joists vs 16" for instance.

Old 06-27-15, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I have a small section of synthetic decking. It's a light gray so the temperature is not a problem but there is some mildew or dark spots in the pores of the material and not something that can be pressure washed off but I still say it's better than pressure treated pine. You just have to consider if the extra expense is worth it for you.

Old 06-29-15, 08:22 AM
Just to be clear, if you go synthetic, you want a PVC "Capped composite". Some of the older boards are straight composite (ie. sawdust and plastic), and the PVC capping really helps with durability, scratch resistance, stain resistance, mildew resistance, etc.

Old 06-29-15, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I'm composite only these days; will likely never cover a deck in real wood again.

Old 06-29-15, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have clients who want quotes for both wood and trex. Their theory is the trex will last a lifetime. I have to remind them it will last as long as your framing lasts. No longer. Once your joists begin to rot, or posts get gimpy, then all the trex in the world won't help. Wanting trex for the wrong reason, IMO.

Old 06-30-15, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I've gone composite because I hate having to seal the wood decking I own every year (or maybe two if I'm lucky).