Is this a stable design?

Old 06-30-15, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a stable design?

Hi all,

So great to have a community with experience to sound off on my idea.

I am going to build a swing set for my kids. I have included a simplified picture of my design to address the question I am asking. What I would like, is to have an unbroken 14 foot span, held up by vertical posts. At the moment I plan on using 2x10s to span the 14' length.

My question is if this lumber (standard pressure treated pine) is big/strong enough to span the entire 14' without sagging in the middle.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!

CheersName:  VIZ_0012.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  29.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-15, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
It depends on what you plan on hanging from the structure. In general I'd think a 2x10 would be good for a swing or two without trouble provided you don't drill away a lot of the beam to mount the swings. My concern is the stability to resist the side loads.

Old 06-30-15, 12:18 PM
Thanks so much for the input!

I know A frames are usually used to stabilize against the rocking motion of the swing. I also realize that as drawn, the frame is not very sound. I stripped out a bit of other bracing from this picture, since I was just trying to illustrate as clearly as possible the one issue in my mind as to whether the 2x10s are up to the job.

Old 06-30-15, 06:44 PM
My day job is as a building materials supplier, and I can tell you that swing sets we've sold in the past typically use a 4x6 post as the the top bar. An A frame is definitely more stable. The lateral stresses supplied by swings are more severe than you realize, and your post sytem as shown may not be sufficient as your children grow......

Old 07-01-15, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
With the proper bracing though your four legged design can work and be quite sturdy especially if you do X braces on each end. Even better if the braces go all the way from top to bottom to resist the legs bending. Nailing them in place will probably work short term but through bolting would be better.