Pergola questions

Old 07-02-15, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergola questions

Hello,

My wife and I are finally getting to this stage in our project and have a few pergola related questions. We are looking at doing something similar to this:

Screens >> Portfolio >> Cedar >> Toronto >> Your Deck Company

1. The bracket used to hold the 6x6 on to the footing is not very attractive. I have seen one where it was gold or something which would help a little but what options are there to attach the post to the concrete that looks nice?
2. We would like to put a few outside lights on our posts. what methods have people used to hide the power?
3. For a 6x6 post is it best to use a 10" sonotube or can I use an 8?

anything else with this look challenging that you might have a recommendation on?

Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-15, 06:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never saw a designer bracket. Some years ago, the chemicals to manufacture pressure treated wood were changed. Companies such as Simpson Strong Tie who makes brackets had to change their process due to a chemical reaction between the brackets & the wood. Zmax was the new product. Even if you could find a designer bracket, it would have to be able to withstand the chemicals in the wood. Maybe you could have some flowers around the base.

To hide the wires on the posts, search images.google.com for outdoor wiremold.

The larger sonotubes are 12" & that's what you use.

Old 07-02-15, 07:21 AM
thanks for the quick response.

I think i know the answer to this question but let me ask anyway. what i if i sunk the tube a bit furhter in the ground setting the bracket and everything under the dirt or at least deep enough for mulch to cover?

12" dang, i think my post hole digger only does 8. guess I will rent he monster then.

One more thing, i have used the j bolts ( i believe they were called) for our deck to hold the bracket on to the concrete. I have also seen the type where you set the whole bracket of sorts in the concrete when wet and level it out, etc. can i use the bolt and bracket for this application too?

Old 07-02-15, 07:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Set the tube & the bracket at least 2" above the ground. Slope the concrete, in the tube, so water can't collect, on it. That will prevent the post from rotting. If you sink it too low, the water can collect. Either style bracket will work. Personally, I like the bracket where I set the bolt into the concrete while it's wet. That way I have some room to move the bracket side to side, in case I didn't hit the exact mark. It's a little more work but you can dig any size hole with your post hole digger.

Old 07-03-15, 05:10 AM
i have the twist type post hole digger. I have 5 to do is it worth going and buying one of the jaw type ones do you think?

Also, i was getting the post locations set. any issues this being a pergola and using a 2x8 to span 10 feet?

Old 07-03-15, 05:20 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Sure, I would buy the other style post hole digger, to make the job easier. Then you can say that you have two PHDs. I guess that 2x8s would be sufficient. If it were a deck, 2x10s would be needed.

Old 07-03-15, 05:27 AM
hah.....more the better is what they say right?

I don't think there woudl be any weight on the 2x8 but could see someone putting a hanging chair or something on it. I could bring the span down to just under 9 feet. would that make much difference?