Hairline crack

Old 07-06-15, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hairline crack

I have had a patio installed at my home 2 years ago, it has a fine hairline crack that's growing , I was going to seal my patio with a pressure sprayer should I do this first then patch the crack, will sealing it help? And how do I patch the hairline crack from further damage?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-15, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
Welcome to the forums Tim!

I assume this is a concrete slab with a crack ?? I'd make any repairs prior to applying any sealer as the sealer could make it difficult for whatever you patch with to get a good bond. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-06-15, 08:39 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Just not enough info.
Any crack filling on a slab is going to show.

Old 07-06-15, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 286 Votes on 261 Posts
One fact about concrete is that it's going to crack somewhere, sometime. Cracks should always be kept sealed for the sole purpose of keeping water from getting in... eroding the soil underneath and/or freezing in the winter, making the crack worse.

If the crack is not large enough for sealant to be injected into it, it should usually be notched slightly to make a groove for the sealant to adhere to. (grinder and diamond wheel)

Sealing the crack with a concrete sealant is not invisible, and it's not necessarily going to prevent the crack from widening if the crack is the result of improper compaction (prior to placing concrete)... but sealing cracks is routine maintenance that should be done no matter what.

Stadry and Bridgeman are members here who are experts on this sort of thing and know of sealants that will bond stronger than the original concrete, but to my knowledge, those sorts of sealants/epoxies still require a properly compacted substrate in order to really "fix" the problem. If they don't chime in in the next day or two, maybe you could PM them.

Old 07-07-15, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A few pix would help to identify what might be causing the crack, and the best possible way to address it. If it's truly a hairline crack, it might not show up very well in photos taken from a distance (a human hair is only 0.003" in diameter). Meaning a few close-ups in addition to the an overall shot or two of the patio would help.