Finally Started to work on the deck.

Old 07-12-15, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finally Started to work on the deck.

The guy started to remove the paint today and in eight hours using pressure wash and paint remover, He was only able to remove all the paint from the stairs. Thats not including sanding. Is that how long it usually takes?

Also, he only does work in weekends so he it will take me two weeks before I can actually get paint on deck. Would that cause any problem if the deck is exposed without paint for two weeks?
I have two different color currently on the deck that I did not know until this.

Also any other advice.

Name:  deck2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  37.2 KBName:  deck1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  44.8 KB

Last edited by soumikcha; 07-12-15 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-15, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Marksr will have better paint advice, but you can probably forget that 2 week window for painting if he used pressure washer to remove the paint. Your wood is super soaked, now and needs to dry out.

Old 07-12-15, 07:39 PM
What do you mean forget two weeks window?

I actually will get rest removed next Saturday and Sunday. And get painted the week after. I actually do not have a option unless I paint myself.

Old 07-12-15, 08:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, unless the wood has had a chance to dry out from the last removal time, which is in one week, you won't be able to paint it. One week of really hot sunshine and little rain will be good, but maybe not enough. Let Marksr chime in on the paint application.

Old 07-12-15, 08:23 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
#1, that's going to take several weeks if not longer depending on the weather to dry out.
#2, No way would I be using paint on decking, you'll be back to square one in no time.
There's just no fast way to get all that old paint off.
Want it done once and forget it get rid of the wood and install and install composite lumber.

Old 07-12-15, 09:59 PM
I had paint all this year (as the paint was here before I bought the house) . I did not have any issue. I just did not maintain it.
I am not in the position to replace all the hood.
I want to stain but I assume its not a good idea if it was painted before.

Old 07-13-15, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The wood needs to be dry before any coating is applied. How long that takes depends on several factors - mainly how deep it got wet and the drying conditions. What type of stripper is he using? I can't imagine spending that much time with stripper and pressure washer and not getting finished! Is he a good worker? if so, how much experience does he have? are you paying him by the hour?

A solid stain can be applied over paint although the more paint that is removed the better. I would definitely use a solid deck stain before I would paint!

Old 07-13-15, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Plus one on the solid stain over paint.

Old 07-13-15, 10:04 AM
I had about three layers of paint on my deck. Previous owner had two different color on the deck. So thats why it was taking him awhile, I assume. Well his dad said he is been doing this since 14 and now he is 25. His dad the person who supposed to do it but could not come this time. But next week. They both will be coming. We agreed on about $1600-1800 labor for remove paint, sand, paint plus replace half one of my post that is rotten in the bottom and few of the boards.
My deck is about 600SF with porch and maybe another 50ish sf with stairs.
I am not sure what kind of deck paint stripper they used.

SO if properly removed most paint and sanded. I can put solid stain on my deck?

Its very hot now. So five days should be enough drying time?

Old 07-13-15, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heat, sunlight and wind all help to dry wood faster. It hard to say how long the wood will take to dry as each job can be different. I've cleaned with a pressure washer and been able to to stain the next day but on another job it might be a week or more.

Deck or stain strippers aren't as potent as paint and varnish removers. A paint stripper is often brushed on, let work [it will bubble up the paint] and then it's scraped off before it hardens back up. I have you used a pressure washer instead of a scraper and while it's very effective - it's prone to blow paint chips everywhere

You need clean wood [or a coat of similar stain] in order to apply a toner or translucent stain, same thing for semi-transparent. Solid stain is somewhat like thin paint but it doesn't require a primer. While it's best to apply it to bare wood or previously stained wood, it can be applied over paint. IMO it's best to get off most of the paint before using solid stain but wouldn't sweat small stubborn areas of remaining paint. Be sure it's a deck stain as a siding stain won't hold up too long on a deck.

Old 07-13-15, 02:31 PM
Its very difficult to remove all the current paint. Specially places you cant access. I think I will just use paint.

The guy used pressure wash, scrapper and stripper. Pretty much all. IDK what paint was used before but its been very difficult to remove.

IF I go with paint. I actually wanted to do two color. The deck something similar to chocolate color and the railing bar bright white. Any of you guys did that? Is it a good idea does it looks good?

How can I tell if the wood is fully dry? I have not seen any bubble before. it only cracked cuz we never maintained it. We only painted some of it like four years ago. ANd most of them are still looking perfect.

And which paint should I go with?

Old 07-13-15, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it was mine and I couldn't or didn't have the time to remove the majority of the paint, I'd use a solid stain anyway and sooner or later nature will remove the rest of the paint.

I've done a lot of 2 toned decks, some look better than others .... mostly depending on the color scheme of both the deck and the house.

Old 07-13-15, 04:02 PM
So I can put solid stain over paint? and it will stick properly?

THis is the current color I have on my siding, roof and door and my old deck paint.

Name:  home6.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  20.2 KBName:  home5.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  34.7 KBName:  home4.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  26.9 KBName:  home3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  34.3 KBName:  home2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  33.8 KBName:  home1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  28.2 KB

Old 07-13-15, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint will adhere better [and last a little longer] but does need a primer anywhere you have bare wood.
Solid stain adheres ok over clean paint. My reasoning for going with stain is for a long term solution. The paint will continue to peel unless you keep it well painted, stain requires less work to prep and redo.

Old 07-13-15, 09:37 PM
Ok, well, I guess it will depend how much paint we can actually remove.
Also, if I do end up using paint. I seen some of the paint comes mix with primer. Are those even any good?
What brand and type should I go with?

Also,
what is a good combination of color should I choose to match my siding and roof?
I want something chocolate like for the deck and white for the railing.

Old 07-14-15, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A separate primer is always best! You shouldn't use paint that isn't rated for a deck/porch. The label should specify what type of primer is best for that coating. Generally an oil base primer is best although some floor coatings specify thinning the paint for the first coat [instead of a primer] You'll always find better coatings [advice too] at your local paint store as opposed to a paint dept.

White railings almost always look good with most any color deck, especially since you have white trim on your house. The drawbacks to a dark color on the decking is it will likely fade quicker than a lighter color and may be hotter to walk on barefoot.

Old 07-14-15, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
No way I use paint. That said, separate primer and paint, not that two-in-one stuff.

I still say solid body stain including where you want white.

Old 07-14-15, 01:59 PM
So if I use solid stain over paint. How durable would it be?

Old 07-14-15, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Very.

Lasts almost as long as paint but is a lot easier to recoat when the time comes.

Old 07-14-15, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure that solid stain over paint will last as long as paint over paint but the underlying paint is more likely to fail before the stain would wear off or peel.

Old 07-14-15, 08:00 PM
ok, I will see how much paint I can actually remove. You guys keep saying solid stain but know that the deck had paint for 30 years. For the time I had the house, about 8 years. I only painted portion of the deck once. And its been fine so far. I just recently past two years I did zero maintenance. Only my stairs started to crack and that i did not do any re coating ever. Maybe in my area, paint have no issue sticking to deck.

A major concern I have. Between solid stain and paint. Who can take more cold? Its been below freezing recording braking temp past two years. Not sure if that is why the paint cracked.

Old 07-15-15, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Living in the south I don't know a lot about how cold temps affect paint but what experience I do have says that the temps don't affect the paint [once it's cured] but any moisture that gets under the paint will. I would assume if that moisture in the wood or under the paint freezes that the paint would pop shortly.

Your deck looks in great shape for being 30 yrs old

Old 07-15-15, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you're convinced paint is the way to go and that's fine - it will probably hold up a few years and maybe even a few more than a solid stain, it's just that there's a little more work then when it's time to repaint than if it were time to restain.

Old 07-15-15, 10:29 PM
Its not clear in picture but I have alot of textures. So once we finish removing paint and sanding the wood. i will sample out solid stain and see how good it looks.

If choose Solid stain, what brand should I go with?
If Choose paint, what brand should I go with?

Is BM as good as the hype and price?

Old 07-16-15, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you stay away from their bargain basement coatings - you can't go wrong with BenMoore.

Primer and paint will fill in the texture differences better than solid stain but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra effort.

Old 07-16-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Generally speaking, the more you pay for the product, the better it is. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams products get high marks from people on this site but, like Mark, I wouldn't touch the bottom of the line product from anyone. You also tend to get better products and advice in a paint store than in a paint department.

Old 07-16-15, 02:00 PM
THe guy at BM recommended I use paint since thats what I had for so long. Specially if I can not remove all the paint. I should not use solid stain.

I know SW gives discount and I used their paint on my deck before. but BM, not a penny discount.

Old 07-17-15, 09:05 AM
Any of you heard of cabot deck correct? I called them and they are like "pressure wash and paint". Wtf lol. How easy is that. huh

Old 07-17-15, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, they kind of left out some important details.

Old 07-17-15, 09:46 AM
Is that even a good brand to go with? sounds fishy

Old 07-17-15, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cabot is well known respected brand that's been around for a long time but like SS said, they left out a good bit of info with that statement.

Old 07-17-15, 10:15 AM
Yes they did. I asked them do I need to remove all the paint. They said the deck correct do not need all paint removed. Just remove anything that is pealing. THey said deck correct covers all cuts and what not and makes the deck look new again. It sounds too good to be true.

Old 07-17-15, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't know Cabot had come out with that type of deck coating I guess they didn't want to be left out with all the other deck restore type coatings out there.

Personally I would not use any deck coating of that type! While it may look great initially, once a heavy coating like that starts to fail you'll have a hard time prepping it and getting it to look right. Decks are hard enough to get a lasting coating job on to start with and I know of no good reason to apply a coating that will make the deck look worse later on!

Old 07-17-15, 11:22 AM
Thats what I thought.
I guess I will stick to paint or stain, depending on how much i can remove of my current paint.

If I had to choose between SW or BM Or any other brand. WHich one is the best overall? I need something reliable

Old 07-17-15, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Sikken, Cabbot, Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams tend to get the most endorsement here; just not that restore-type product you mentioned.

Old 07-17-15, 01:22 PM
I will more likely go with SW or BM. Help me decide if I go with paint or stian. Which brand would be better.

Also, Removing my current 3 layers of paint. WHat brand or kind paint remover should I use that can get the job done right.

Old 07-17-15, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't do a lot of stripping so when that type of job comes up I always ask the rep at the paint store which product will work best for the job at hand.

With the exception of a covered deck, I'd have a hard time talking myself into using paint over PT decking. Both SWP and BM have quality coatings - either one would be fine.

Old 07-17-15, 06:34 PM
SO I called SW, and the rep was like u dont need to prime with paint on deck. Thats mainly for wall.....hmm...tho they have 30% off. I can see why. lol

Old 07-18-15, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While paint doesn't normally need a primer prior to repainting, the bare wood does!

Old 07-18-15, 04:57 PM
Well looks like my contractor did not want to go that route. So I am going to do the whole job myself. WTF is wrong with all this handy man around me. Nobody wants to do the job right.

How difficult is it to replace deck boards? All I need to do is remove the old nails and remove the old board and put a new one?
does the size of the board expand and could that create problem?