Old deck refinishing advice

Old 07-14-15, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old deck refinishing advice

My church group is repairing a home for a poor widow. She has a 10x16 deck that is peeling from an oil based stain ( lady showed us the can ). The wood looks to be in good shape, and Its approximately 8 years old. One of the volunteers has access to a floor sander ( he uses it to refinish hardwood floors), and we are going to sand the deck.

My questions are: how long after sanding the deck can we apply stain?

We will be a applying a solid color stain, so do we need to sand it down to bare wood or can we just get the loose stain off and apply over the existing oil base stain?

Thank you for help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-15, 07:33 PM
Received 27 Votes on 23 Posts
Good luck with that idea.
The exposted nails or screws will tare up the sand paper.
How about a picture?
Solid stain will not hold up on decking, will work fine on railings.

Old 07-15-15, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I agree with Joe about not using a floor sander! as mentioned the nails/screws along with the cracks between boards will chew up the sandpaper in short order.

My SOP for restaining decks is; mix up a solution of bleach and water [never stronger than 50/50] you can add TSP if needed, wet the deck and then spray on the solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then pressure wash [a garden hose will also work] Depending on weather and the environment the deck is exposed to it will take 24 hrs to several days for the deck to dry for stain. I've had good results with solid stains providing it's a quality brand and a deck stain! siding stains will not hold up long term on a deck.

If you do sand the deck, you can apply the stain as soon as the sanding dust has been removed.
Is the current stain a solid stain or semi-transparent?

almost forgot welcome to the forums Jason!

Old 07-15-15, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
We have this conversation often and Joe believes solid stain is a poor choice for a deck floor while Mark and I believe it will provide the longest lasting coverage (make sure it is a deck stain, not just a siding stain).

I clean my deck much the same way Mark does except I don't have a pressure washer so I scrub the deck when the cleaning solution is on it with a brush.

Old 07-15-15, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll scrub stubborn areas when needed but my old back doesn't like a brush - I use an old broom

Old 07-15-15, 03:46 PM
Thank you for your replies!
And thank you for the welcome Marksr.

The current stain is an oil based semi transparent, I believe it is Olympic. Half of the deck is shaded in a over hang from the house, the other half is in direct sun. The half that is in the sun is peeling badly, the shaded part has mildew on it, but the stain looks ok.

Question: if we use the bleach and water, followed up with a pressure washer, we can apply the new stain over the old stain?

Thanks again for everyone's responses, I want to do the right thing for this woman's deck.

Old 07-15-15, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you should be able to apply a similar color semi-transparent stain or any color solid deck stain over the existing stain once the wood has dried. The semi-transparent advice may or may not change if I had the opportunity to inspect the deck in person.

Old 07-15-15, 04:27 PM
Thanks Marksr! I have a picture but I am having issues loading it off my iPad, as I can't figure out how to click and drag.

We planned on Solid stain, as we have been told it will last longer, but we are open to any type of stain. Is there any certain brand of stain that you recommend?

Old 07-16-15, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Price is usually indicative of the quality. Cabot, Silkens, SuperDeck and BenMoore all have great reputations. I've good results with SWP's DeckScapes but have seen where they have bad reviews
The main thing is make sure it's a deck stain, not just a siding stain!

Old 07-16-15, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Generally speaking, the more the stain costs, the longer it will last.

Inflation has rendered this rule of thumb obsolete but it used to be that if you paid $10/gallon you would likely have to recoat every year while a $20/gallon product would last two years and a $30/gallon stain would last three years between coats.

Old 07-19-15, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
x2 what marksr said... i did not see where the poster is from but it works pretty good in Maine.