Miter saw fence extension

Old 07-19-15, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miter saw fence extension

I am doing a Trex picture frame deck and cannot install field long and cut on site as waterproofing installed on deck. I need to make repetitive exact 15' 6 3/4 cuts. I would love to rig up a jig but am not sure how. Measuring, marking, and cutting will not be accurate enough in my opinion..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-15, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Make a table out of several pieces of 2x lumber, staggered so it will fill the 18' you need. Place the miter saw on the 2x lumber and fasten it down using screws and washers. Stand 2x4 pieces across the run off every couple of feet and screw them to the 2x base. These are exactly the size of your saw up to its table. You have a run off table fit for a king. You can screw stops where you need them for precise cuts.

Old 07-19-15, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
Measuring, marking, and cutting will not be accurate enough in my opinion..
That's pretty hard to believe. Your tape measure is not going to vary in length... If your material is laying flat when you measure and mark it, you would have to have pretty bad eyesight to not be able to cut on your mark with a miter saw. And if you are using a skilsaw, use a speed square as a guide as you cut each one individually.

Old 07-19-15, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree, Brant, but he asked. My helper was measuring lumber and cutting for me, and consistently was cutting 1/4" too short. I thought he couldn't see. Turned out that he had dropped his tape on concrete and bent the hook tang, and didn't notice it. Not a happy camper.