Deck 'wavy'

Old 07-28-15, 04:05 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Deck 'wavy'

Recently I built a deck behind my house that is 16' long and 11' deep. I used the floating system where it is not attached to the house and rests on 6 6x6 posts and only is about 18" off the ground. The joists are 2 x 10 x 12 and centered at 16". The decking I used is from Timber Tech (composite). Now after a few weeks of it being finished I notice when it rains I am left with a few small puddles because the deck is wavy. I believe the problem is I didn't put all of the crowns of the joists 'up' and therefore it's give me low spots. My question is: is there a way to repair that without tearing up all that decking? Taking up the decking would be tedious but it could be done because I used the concealed clips.

Thank you for any sugegstions.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-15, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it is truly the crown problem, then the only way to correct it is to remove the decking, reverse the crowns, or sister joists in, and replace the decking. Tedious, sure. One thing you didn't mention was what you used for footers. Your requirements are probably 3' deep and 12" in circumference. Sometimes heaving will cause slight increase in height of one or more of the pilings if not sunk deep enough.

Old 07-28-15, 06:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many puddles are there? No one will like my idea but I would drill a couple of 3/16 drain holes, in the deck. They won't be noticed except by you.

Old 07-28-15, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it's just a few small areas you could shim the decking up using a composite shim, or pieces of plastic or aluminum flashing. However, this still means pulling the decking because the TimberTec hidden fasteners get covered by the decking so there's no way to just remove a few fasteners temporarily to slide shims in place. But shimming will still likely be easier than flipping the framing or sistering joists. Unless it's really bad, I would develop a short memory

Old 07-28-15, 12:24 PM
We dug down about 4' and used the 12' concrete form tubes for the footers.

Old 07-29-15, 07:24 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Ain't hindsight great

You didn't talk about support girder spans - how have you supported the 11 ft span?

Also, many composites recommend the joists being 12" on center instead of 16". Which style of timbertech did you install?

Old 07-31-15, 03:12 AM
The joists (2 x 10) are on 6 x 6 posts (6 of them) on top of the 12" x 48" footers. I used Earthwood Evolutions Tropical Collection and unless I got some bad information online 16" centers are fine. Two of the posts are in from the right edge at 2' and from the front and rear at 2'. The same is on the left side and there are two also in the middle.

Old 07-31-15, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Now after a few weeks of it being finished I notice when it rains I am left with a few small puddles because the deck is wavy.
You might have areas with LESS puddles due to the slope on the wavy deck, but if your deck was flat as a pancake you would probably have MORE puddles.... they would just be evenly distributed. I can't see how the ponding could be very bad- water should run off the gaps between the sides of the 5.5" planks. The puddles are a non-issue, IMO. I imagine that if there is a low joist that what is annoying is that all the puddles are lined up in a row where the dip is.

I believe the problem is I didn't put all of the crowns of the joists 'up' and therefore it's give me low spots. My question is: is there a way to repair that without tearing up all that decking?
The wavyness is understandable if you paid no attention to the crown of the lumber. Generally if you want a perfectly flat deck, you need to crown everything up and then go back with a power planer, identify and shave off the high spots, checking everything with a laser level or long straightedge. If there happen to be any low spots, these must be shimmed up. Short answer is "No", there is no way to repair without taking off the decking.

Keep in mind though, that no matter how good of a job you do at planing and/or shimming the top of the framing, the deck can always warp in the following days, months, years. Wood is a natural product, so you can't control it completely. If you are putting your eye down where the decking is and expecting it to be straight as an arrow, you are probably going to be disappointed. You do have to be somewhat reasonable and expect a "little" variation from a product made of wood. The question you probably need to answer is how much variation is acceptable... and will it be worth it to tear it off and plane and shim. I'm SURE you could make it better than it was. But I doubt you could make it perfect.