Ground Level Deck In Front of Ground Level Basement Window? (pic)

Old 07-28-15, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground Level Deck In Front of Ground Level Basement Window? (pic)

I haven't seen this done anywhere else on the net, which makes me nervous that my idea may be a poor one.

I'm building a very low deck behind my house, however I've got two basement windows that the deck would be covering half of, which of course would look bad and prevent any future work from being done on the window (replacement etc...).

I don't want to go above the windows, so I was planning on having a cut-out of the deck around the windows, and either putting a railing or building a flower box etc.. to prevent people from falling in.

I can't find any images on the net of people doing this (only decks that go above the window and cut out), so I thought I would post here and get peoples suggestions, I really want to avoid building the deck above the windows.

Name:  2015-07-20 18.08.38.jpg
Views: 5709
Size:  47.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-15, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I would not do a round level, wood deck. It will block your windows and being close to the ground the wood will be constantly wet and will have a short life. I would consider a poured concrete or paver patio.

Old 07-28-15, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've already purchased the lumber and pretty set on a deck. I'm planning on doing cut outs around the windows, so they would not be blocked...as for the life of the lumber, I'll do my best to give it some ventilation, but I have read that it can be an issue.

I've known others who have 10+ year old ground level decks that seem to be doing well, but no one who does cut outs like I'm suggesting, that's my main concern.

Old 07-28-15, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Search online for images using the words "egress window deck".

Old 07-29-15, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Sorry, one more vote for returning the wood and doing a patio instead.

If you don't want to listen to me, that's fine, Dane provided what you want.