Questions regarding railing construction

Old 07-29-15, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding railing construction

Code around where i live states that posts for railings can be no further than 72 inches apart for a standard railing. The following idea seems to be more structurally sound than a standard railing.

So for example if i had a 16ft side and had 3 posts(4x4) that would keep me under 72 inches between posts.
-They will be carriage bolted to the outside of the fascia board(2x12).
My question is would it be stronger to run the 2x2 pickets from the top rail to the bottom of the 2x12 fascia? Or have a standard railing with top and bottom 2x4 connections but add 1 more post to the 16ft side. I would think that running pickets to the bottom of the fascia would tie it together better. I hate Wobbly railings! Please share your thoughts or opinions!?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-15, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not convinced running the pickets down to the rim joist will make it any stronger as I've stained decks that were built that way that had wobbly rails. It's more a point of using good building practices and not skipping any corners. I prefer the bottom of the railing to be raised off of the deck floor. It makes it easier to keep the deck clean and easier to stain.

Old 07-29-15, 01:26 PM
If you are only using 3 posts in a 16' run, that means each of the 2 spaces will be close to 8' (96"). Using 4 posts will result in 3 spaces of 5'-4" (64") each.

Old 07-29-15, 03:43 PM
BridgeMan45
If you are only using 3 posts in a 16' run, that means each of the 2 spaces will be close to 8' (96"). Using 4 posts will result in 3 spaces of 5'-4" (64") each.

My Apologies! i meant to put 4 posts on the 16' run!

marksr
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not convinced running the pickets down to the rim joist will make it any stronger as I've stained decks that were built that way that had wobbly rails. It's more a point of using good building practices and not skipping any corners. I prefer the bottom of the railing to be raised off of the deck floor. It makes it easier to keep the deck clean and easier to stain

Thanks! Yes! Trust me no corners have been skipped! Solid Deck(well.. platform with stairs for now...haha) just need railings and shes done!

Old 07-29-15, 06:52 PM
Make sure to follow the recommendations in DCA 6, for attaching the railing posts, if you don't like wobbly railings.

Old 07-30-15, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Since you didn't say what size posts you were using, remember you can't notch 4x4's for newel posts. You can notch 6x6's, and it gives more "plane" exposure and less chance of wobbling. Reference this as Bridgeman suggested: http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-12.pdf

Old 07-30-15, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I prefer the bottom of the railing to be raised off of the deck floor. It makes it easier to keep the deck clean and easier to stain.

MUCH nicer to use a floor broom to sweep the snow off rather than shoveling.

Old 07-30-15, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
.... same thing with removing leaves