Need help fastening box frame steps to deck

Old 08-03-15, 01:16 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help fastening box frame steps to deck

I'm currently in the planning a 16x18' low-level (22") freestanding deck. I'd like to include full-length double box steps on two of the sides. I've found several webpages describing how to calculate the dimensions and construct the boxes themselves (as well as how to attach the boxes to one another) (e.g. https://www.decks.com/deckbuilding/B...airs_for_Decks), but I can't figure out how to best fasten the boxes to the deck frame itself? The link referenced above says to bolt the box step frame to the deck frame, but what part of the deck frame? Assuming the header/outside joists are 2x8, the frame of the box steps would be below - or near the bottom of them - so I'm thinking I can't attach them there.... Should I just build the bottom step deep enough so I can secure it directly to the deck's posts? Other suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Box steps generally aren't used on decks. The steps must sit on concrete. Was this in the plans? If you sit the steps on the ground they will rot and being enclosed, they will rot even faster.

Old 08-03-15, 08:18 PM
O
I was under the impression box steps are quite common for low-level decks requiring only 1-2 stairs (see Oversized Steps on the Deck | Home Guides | SF Gate or Box Steps | DIY Deck Plans for example). To answer your question, my plan was to have them land on a few inches of crushed stone (the same as what I will be putting under my deck)

Old 08-04-15, 03:23 AM
The only reason I would not use box steps is the lack of ventilation, and eventual rot from the inside. I do like the oversize steps you referred to, and they seem to be a more viable solution to your low deck. You do have your deck sitting on footers, rather than just crushed stone?

Old 08-04-15, 05:54 AM
O
Understand your point about ventilation. I saw a video yesterday where they attached the box steps to one another by screwing on scrap 2x furring strips to the backside of the box, leaving enough length on the strip to then attach to the face of the rim joist (see the first minute or so: Build a Grade-Level Deck: Stairs and Blocking - Fine Homebuilding Video). What do you think of this? I could still attach to footings on the inside of the bottom tread as well.

Old 08-04-15, 05:01 PM
The steps in the video are actually sitting on footers, so they are getting some ventilation. If there is a way you can build the box steps and leave ventilation, that would be good.