Stain for old deck?

Old 08-07-15, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain for old deck?

I have an 1800 sq ft, 30 year old deck with my new house. The place was foreclosed for 4 years, so no one took care of it. I'm planning on replacing the rotted boards and staining it all this Fall. It was originally painted grey, and the areas that are covered and under the screen porch are still in great condition, but the rest is dry rotting in spots and completely stripped of paint.

What would be the best stain style/brand for this type of job. Most of it is exposed to the elements, which sucks because I know it will start chipping with a solid stain, but I don't know how to match the old boards with the new. I'm probably going to be replacing 20+ boards this year, and within the next few years, slowly replacing all the boards.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Solid body stain is my choice for old wood or trying to hide the difference between old a new wood.

Old 08-07-15, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
I like to clean/repair the deck first before making the final stain decision but generally an old deck looks better with a solid stain .... just make sure it's a deck stain. No matter what coating you use there will be a 'texture' difference between the old wood and the new.

Old 08-07-15, 09:03 AM
Is there any brand of solid stain that has less of a chance of cracking? Or, will a waterproof sealer help with that?

Old 08-07-15, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Deck stains are sealers and don't require/need a separate sealer applied over them.

Most paint stores [not a paint dept] will have a good grade of deck stains. B.Moore, SWP, Cabot, Sikkens and SuperDeck are all good stains.

Old 08-07-15, 10:16 AM
Received 109 Votes on 100 Posts
Consider using Rustolium Restore 4X or 10X. It will put on a thick layer of an epoxy type coating that will adhere to the old wood indefinitely. The only caution is that if it should chip or flake it will be a bear to fix.

Old 08-07-15, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I wouldn't use or recommend a restore type deck coating. They will beautify an old deck but a thick coating on a deck will always be problematic. Once moisture gets under the coating you'll have the beginning of a mess that will be hard to correct.

Old 08-07-15, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'll have to concur with Marksr on the Restore. I have it on two of my decks. I'll gladly ship the decks to someone if they want them Worst thing I ever did to a deck and irreversible. Good concept, but I should have stuck with my initial thoughts when the product debuted. You are only coating one and maybe part of the two sides of the wood. The underneath is still unsealed and will trap moisture and not allow it to dissipate or evaporate, causing problems with the paint product. Not a big fan of it.

Old 08-08-15, 05:34 AM
Received 109 Votes on 100 Posts
Larry,

Thanks for the feedback with first hand information. As a store associate I'm obligated to try and sell product. But I also feel obligated to warn customers of possible risk and side affects of products. This will give me info to pass along.

Old 08-10-15, 05:49 AM
Thanks. The restore type stain was out from the beginning. That was my first idea, but I saw way too many complaints about it.