Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Help - Using "Stratton Brackets" to install a ledger board directly over siding?

Help - Using "Stratton Brackets" to install a ledger board directly over siding?

Old 08-11-15, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Using "Stratton Brackets" to install a ledger board directly over siding?

To build my patio cover, I was researching the proper way to install a ledger board and flashing when I came across a product called the "Stratton Bracket" (The Patened Stratton Bracket - Decks Made Easy). It is a bracket that allows you to install a ledger right over siding. It seems like an effective way to install a ledger to the second story rim joist without have to cut out the siding and install flashing.

Some background:
- I'm installing a patio cover which requires a 2x8 ledger board to be installed to the second story rim joist of the house
- This is a two story house
- House was built in 2005
- I live in Harris County, TX
- We get lots of rain in the summer and experience high humidity
- I'd rather not remove siding if I don't have to; In fact, its my most daunting step in the whole project
- I'd still flash the top part of the patio cover to redirect water
- I have Hardieplank siding
- There is very little information about this bracket on the internet. Some forums mention their use, but I didn't see any substantial discussion.

Some questions:
- Has anyone used Stratton Brackets before?
- Any potential code issues?
- I would space these 24" apart for the 19 foot ledger board with 1/2" Lag Bolts. Will this hold up?
- Even if I apply generous amount of silicone sealant and install flashing on the top of the ledger/cover, will water will get in through the holes in the siding?
- Any alternate means of attaching a ledger board to a house without removing siding?
- Any other advice?

Please note that I'm just doing due diligence on this product that can potentially save me time and effort. I understand the importance of a secure ledger and proper water drainage; no flaming please

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 01:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Would you consider a free standing patio cover instead? A ledger board collects water & with all the rain that you said is there, it's not a good idea.

Old 08-11-15, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your response Pulpo. I would prefer not to build a free standing patio. The two extra beams would block windows on the house and look unsightly from inside. Also, I'd like to be able to walk from the house to the patio without getting wet if it is raining. Hence the connected structure.

Given that we can get monsoons here in Houston, I would think that well-caulked holes in the siding (for these brackets) would serve me better than siding that has been cut open and then resealed with flashing etc.

Old 08-11-15, 03:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have never used the brackets, but note one thing in their video that is against code to begin with. Brick is a veneer and no deck can be attached to a veneer. I'll monitor the thread to see how it goes and what suggestions are presented. The only other thing that may be in your way will be your local Authority who must approve their use.