Change a 2nd story deck to a small balcony

Old 08-12-15, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Change a 2nd story deck to a small balcony

I just removed a 48" deck from outside a bedroom. The access to this deck is from a large sliding door. I would like to just have balcony for just enough room to stand. Maybe 12" to 18" at most. Can I just use heavy bolts/screws to attach this very small deck to the ledger/house. There is a door and 2 windows beneath this slider so post supports are not the look I'm going for. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-15, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
Because of the number of deck collapses, death's and serious injuries there is a lot of code/regulation. Contact your Building Inspections Dept. and they will tell you what is needed for approval.

Old 08-12-15, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok will definitely do that. But in the meantime does it seem like a possibility??? Or should I get mentally prepared for the the posts outside the windows

Old 08-12-15, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless you have a vertical support or cantilevered joists, you will have absolutely no support. Your feet are 12" long, and 18" won't give much standing space. Your ledger will be just fine, but anything attached to it will fail. Check with the AHJ to see what their minimums are.