Diagonal bracing for 4x4 deck post?

Old 08-16-15, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Diagonal bracing for 4x4 deck post?

Hi,
Recently, I completely rebuilt a deck (about 10'x 14') for our Sierra cabin. The old joists and main 14' 4x8 beam were replaced. Looks great and its far more solid than the old one.

The 11 deck joists are solidly attached to the cabin on one side, and the 4x8 beam supports the joists at the opposite side. The 4x8 beam in turn is supported in 3 places. The left and middle supports are short (just a few inches at most), but the right side support is longer (4x4 around 3' long if I recall correctly). Just wondering if this longer post should have a 45 deg brace (4x4?) attached between it and the beam to help minimize possible "racking" of the deck structure. Can't seem to find info on the criteria (i.e post height) for when such bracing is necessary. If it's necessary, how long should it be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-15, 03:55 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Post some pictures.
No one here can see how this was built.
Joist hangers, how high it is, how post where set, ECT.

Old 08-16-15, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I figured a request for pictures would be called for. I don't have any at this point. I will be going up there next weekend and can take some pictures to post. Its an odd setup and is hard to explain in words. The deck actually spans over a small creek and the posts are on little concrete bases that I built directly onto the bedrock. Until I get those pictures posted, is there some resource online that I can study to possibly figure this out on my own? Or some rules of thumb?

Old 08-16-15, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here to post pictures: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

And light reading for your deck configuration. Ask questions. We're here. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 08-17-15, 05:50 PM
I downloaded the awc.org document. That is great resource. Thanks for posting. Looks like it would be a good idea to add a diagonal brace on the right side post per Figure 10.

Funny that they mention using 6x6's for all the posts. Most decks I've seen use 4x4 posts (at least the older ones do). I used 4x4's (DF) for my project, in accordance with other deck building resources I utilized.

Old 08-17-15, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
6x6's are the standard nowadays. 4x4's, you just can't do anything with them, like notching, etc. And, basically it boils down to what your local authority allows.

Old 08-18-15, 07:46 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
4 X 4's tend to twist, curl, I stopped using them to build decks long ago.
I had one bend about 1-1/2 from the rim joist to the top of the post after the whole deck was built over night, stopped using them after that.
Since the post was going to get covered with a sleeve I used a long level to make a line, cut out what amounted to a wedge and mounted it to the other side, slide the sleeve over it, good as new.