Deck Post repair but hard to dig around it due to hard soils and rock

Old 08-17-15, 08:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Post repair but hard to dig around it due to hard soils and rock

Hello guys,
One of my deck post is rotting at the bottom of the post.
I was told by a friend of my to just dig around it 36inch deep. And put two or three post around it and bolt them, then use cement. Instead of replacing the whole post since it is in a difficult place to be replaced.

The problem I am facing is the soil around my house is clay and rocks. So I am not sure how I can dig.

And also is that the right way to fix the problem? Any tips will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  deck post3.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  50.4 KBName:  deck post2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  51.1 KBName:  deck post1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-15, 08:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Certainly not the way I'd do it but I won't bury wood in the ground at all in the first place.

Old 08-17-15, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I agree. Wood should never be buried. I would cut back on the lateral 6x6 at the lines and support the deck, cutting the vertical member at the lines. Then dig as well as you can a 12"x 12" square in the dirt as deep as possible. Form up the hole and make a pour to within 1" of the post's bottom. While the slurry is wet, install a post base with a tang on the bottom and align it with the post. Once the concrete has set, you can let the post back down on the post base and nail it through the flanges.

Name:  post base.gif
Views: 826
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  deck post1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  47.8 KB

Old 08-17-15, 12:59 PM
S
If you can kindly provide me a link where I can get it from in home depot or lowers,e etc.

I am not quite sure how I can do it as I was trying to do DIY project. I do not have anything hold the deck. and it is holding the Stairs and deck, so I am really concerned about cutting the wood itself. I wanted to get it done by a professional but I might as well let it sit with the price they asking.

Also, How do I dig such hard soil?

Old 08-17-15, 01:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Re read Larry's post [#3]

You will take lumber, jack or whatever to temporarily support the deck while you do the work.

How do I dig such hard soil?
A pick might help, it maynot be easy but it can be done.

Old 08-18-15, 06:56 AM
S
Could you provide a link or a name for that product? I keep finding it for railing but not the deck post itself.

Old 08-18-15, 08:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 08-18-15, 08:37 AM
M
(1) measure the size of the post, diameter and high (you will take this to HomeDepot/Lowes) Get the pressure treated type, of course. Also, get more that what you need. It will help you for other projects AND you can also use it to support of the weight of the deck (temporary support -- see details at the end of this message).
(2) Print the picture posted by Chandler. Take this to HomeDepot/Lowes. In the construction department, you just show the picture and they will take you to it. I'm not sure if I can post links here. It's a PB 4x4 ZMAX Galvanized Post Base (it could be a 6x6, it has to fit your post).
(3) with those two items purchased at HomeDepot/Lowes, you also ask the person at the store, which screws you will need to attach the post base.
(4) You will need concrete and a cone/tube. The same person at the store should be able to help you with this. For this size of the job and the space you need, yoj might not need a cone/tube. You might have to pore concrete right on the hole (I'm not sure).
(5) you didn't post pictures but you will also have to remove the entire wood and re-attached a new one. Take pictures of how things were attached so you can re-do them. You can also take some pictures and post here so that people can give you the thumbs up or thumbs down. The way it was attached might no longer be possible or even best.

You are going to need several tools for this project. Make sure you have it. Also, you are going to have good familiarity on how the tools should be used or you can get injure.

You will need to find areas around that one post that is FLAT so you can put some base where you tool will seat to raise/support the porch while you do the work. To be extra safe, you can put one on each side of the post. Probably about 2 feet apart from the actual post being replaced. You can use a jack to lift that corner a bit, just enough to allow you to insert a thick piece of wood under it. Then temporarily attach screws to make it EXTRA safe. You can also do like a triangle to give extra peace of mind.

Once both supports are secured (probably many would also use one temporary support), you can start the removal of your old post. Don't forget to take pictures so you can re-do it the same/similar way, if possible.
Dig, pore concrete, set the meta based leveled on the concrete so it dries leveled (MAKE SURE IT"S LEVELED). Once the concrete is completely dried, you just do some pre-drilling to attached the based connector and connect the top, the way the old one was.
Check YouTube video named "How to Build Deck Footings with QUIKRETE", you can use any product but this video came first on my search.
To jack the porch check "How I Jack up a small porch or building (Mike Haduck)". That will give you a basic idea. Watch a few videos and be extra careful.
If this is too much work for you, hire an expert. You don't want the deck falling on you.

Old 08-18-15, 08:43 AM
M
Looking at your picture closer, one temporary support should do. Removing and replacing the entire piece of wood is a lost more work than cutting the immediate ends BUT I think it would look ugly if the entire post is not replaced. If it was my house, I would replace the entire post.

Old 08-18-15, 08:48 AM
S
Wow, that is alot of work and I do not know if I even have all the tools. One of my neighbor does this as hobby and helped me a lot but wont accept my money. I wanted his help but do not want to ask for anymore help unless its emergency.
I might just have to hire someone, but I tried that and all of them wanted to take shortcut with a crazy price. I guess I will just provide them a copy of this post and follow the instruction.

Since this job do can be done in any weather condition. What is the best time to hire people. Cuz right now, they have more jobs than they can handle so everyone over charges.

Old 08-18-15, 09:07 AM
M
For someone how has the tools and experience, this job is EASY. For a home owner with no experience... it's a LOT of work.
Based on your post, I had the impression you didn't have either so it might be best for you to get some help. Perhaps you can talk to your neighbor and request some "advice". You might not want to ask for favors BUT.. sometimes home owners have nothing else to do because there is only so much you can fix at home before the wife wonders why even the unbroken areas are being "fixed".

Remember three things (1) wood on dirt has a short life expectancy (=bad) (2) make sure the end product doesn't let your porch uneven (lower on that side of what it was to the point that i can affect its structure) (3) make sure pressure treated and weather resistant hardware is being used.

Old 08-18-15, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Many of us don't think twice about giving the neighbors a helping hand and it sounds like your neighbor is the same While we don't expect pay, an invite for a nice meal or even help later on is always appreciated.

Old 08-18-15, 09:29 AM
S
Lol, as far I know. neighbors do not like to help. I almost got into a fight with my next door neighbors brother who dont even own the house, and all because of parking spot.

The neighbor who helped me alot is like 3 house away. And he is always helping people. I think that is all he does. He also very spiritual. So he do not eat at my house, due to his unique diet. He is like a angel from haven, one time we bought a big big sofa and it will not fit through our house or deck screen door. And our deck door is non removal. He came at like 1am and removed the whole door set. And he also did my kitchen exhaust.

He always gives me advice but prefer if I do the job myself and learn.

I was unable to find a way to help him so far at all. I rather keep him as an anger and call him only when needed the most. I just repaired and repainted my deck. And god dam, it was alot of work.
I will see if I can find someone who have the right tool and pay them to do it.

Any idea how much this job can cost around?

Old 08-18-15, 09:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Labor prices can vary greatly so the only good way to figure the cost is to get multiple estimates.
ALWAYS check references before hiring anyone!

Old 08-18-15, 09:46 AM
S
When is this business the slowest? I will wait the summer. They always have upper hand around this time

Old 08-18-15, 10:23 AM
M
Parking... oh parking is always a problem for most people. My idea is what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours. If I have 0 cars, it doesn't mean you can use my space. Same goes the other way.
At a previous property, the guy got mad because I knocked on his door at 6:40 AM to move his car. His argument was "it's too early, can't you park on the street?". If it was me, who parked the way he parked, I would have jumped off my bed and apologize for parking way out of my line of parking

You can always buy the wood, concrete, screws and base connector. Whoever handles you job will at least not have to do the shopping for you (cheaper). Also, that person will know you have done some re-search already.
As a new home owner, you don't have to own all the tools or even have much experience doing things BUT you SHOULD learn on how things work and how things get done. That way the people you hire don't do it the quick/cheap ways,which will bite you in the rear. When you know how thinks work, you know if the proposed way of doing it is on your best interest.

Old 08-18-15, 11:48 AM
S
Also, they hit my car once backing into it but no damage so I did not say anything. This is why I need to make millions of dollar so I do not have neighbors to worry about. lol. People are not nice as the old days.

Two of the previous guys I hired left cuz I was telling them what to do. They knew I will catch their mistakes. I always come online, specially here to get advice before doing anything. ..marksr knows. lol